Bee Stinger Add-Ons

Baron

Since the latest belief that the Bee Stinger may have been a canteen, I modeled and printed a top and cap for my faucet cover I just got from Fumanchewie, Thank you very much! I have begun sanding it so this is a rough picture. I made a knob as I figured if it was a canteen, there would be a cap to un-screw so I "eyeballed" and made one. I am looking for feedback. I intend to cast the faucet cover and maybe make it a slush cast, but the tapered top should be able to be vac-formed and the knob I will cast and it will be resin poured. So let the feedback begin!!!

100_0668_zps8b2b0911.jpg

100_0669_zpsf67cedea.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I have re-worked my models completely. I tried to better match the tapered section and modeled a lid based on the picture provided. It is sized to fit on the faucet we all use. It would likely be best as a pulled part. Not sure if anyone would want the lid, but I modeled it anyway, not sure if it is even on in the movie.

Anyway, feedback.....

BeeStingerTipCrop_zps02f5ee2f.jpg

Nice work there Gary. No, the lids weren't used from what I can see. I'm wondering if this was a normal screw on style lid that when removed exposed a screw base - if so, it looks as though the prop dept cut this off?

I agree with everything you said. They likely did cut it off and it definitely looks like a screw type lid. And no need for the lid I modeled then, which is OK. One less piece to worry about :)

So the base would probably give a more accurate look the faucet covers. I am gonna print one and prep it and see how it looks on mine. If it goes well, and anyone is interested in adding it, I will cast it.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Do you mean widen it? Once it prints, it would be easy to "soften" the edges.

My printer is out right now, waiting for a part. Once it is back up, I should be good to go. This week hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the part for my printer yesterday and replaced it last night. I am going to print the newest version pictured above and see how it looks. If everyone likes it, I will go about casting it and pulling.

Stay tuned..... :td::popcorn:

A little update...

Printer is fixed and I was able to get a successful print. First try printed about 4 hours and it started lifting so I had to cancel it...... :-\ Anyway, 12 hours, 24 minutes later the second attempt looks like it turned out pretty good. No lifting and print lines are mostly minimal. I set mine to print slower which yields better cleaner results. Less clean up. I will pull it tonight and start prepping it to mount on the faucet cover. If everything looks good, and people are interested, I will start casting it.

fe159138-8a70-48db-906d-30e14d6c7ea8_zps

A little update, but here is the printed, sanded and first coat of primer for my Bee Stinger Top. I have to take my faucet cover off and see how it looks. I am going to cast it and see how heavy a resin piece will be. It is sized to fit on top of our existing faucet covers. Feedback always welcome...

BackPackAlmostComplete2_zps033eacc2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, got it cast and poured. IT is a solid piece of resin, weighs in at 5 oz. Does not sound like much, but you can feel the weight when your holding it. But I painted and mounted it and there I cant feel any more weight on the pack. Here is a few pics. Not pleased with the pictures to be honest, but it's what I was able to get tonight. I am pretty happy with the look of it though. Feedback is always welcome...

BeeStingerUpdatedTop-2_zps8dadcbf0.jpg

BeeStingerUpdatedTop-1_zps2db99a18.jpg

GaeBackpack-5_zpse17c52a3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I am going to try to make a cast from my current mold that can be pulled with ABS or HIPS to make it lighter. It does not currently feel heavier on the pack, but every little bit counts.

If anyone is watching, stay tuned...... :td:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update, been busy troopin' and building an ATA kit for someone. I am almost done with the buck to start pulling a few test pieces and see how they work like that. I made one for mine that is solid resin, and it is a little heavy.

Stand by.....

• 3 weeks later...