A few questions...

Chaupy

Hello, I am about to start building my first armor and have a few questions...

1. I am looking for 501st approval, but it looks like there requirements are different between 501st and mepd, is this the case?

2. I've noticed that there seems to be difference in how armor is trimmed. What I mean it that some are trimmed right to the end flat, so you just see the thin plastic edge and some has a lip left around the end, I assume this is to make the armor look like it is thick? Which method of trimming is acceptable for approval, or does it matter.

3. What is the standard width of the strips for joining the pieces together on the legs and arms? Can you make them bigger to make more room and still be approved?

Any input is greatly appreciated, and I'm sure I will be back with more questions if I run into any problems.

Police officer does have a few differences between standard 501st admission and MEPD deployed status. SWAT status is even more and VERY detailed. Certain pieces need the "return" edge which does make them look thicker. Mostly the body pieces. leg pieces, and a little on the top of the bicep have some return edge, Check out pandatroopers build thread, it'll answer this better than I can state it.

Stamdard strips are 15mm for arms and 20-25 for legs, but these vary trooper to trooper as the armor does have to fit you. I'd concentrate on getting the raised areas at the but joint (when placing two pieces together) to be roughly the same width as the cover strip. Then you work out the remainder to fit in the back. where you may need wider cover strips. I'm using 17mm for arms and 22 for the legs. And yes, you can make them fit you and still get approved.

Lots of more knowledgeable guys here than me, but this is my take on it.

@ Chris - Sean (syllander) is correct in advising you to check out Pandatrooper's build thread here on the forums.

Also, the acceptance requirements are different. Our suggestion would be to focus on getting Legion approval / TD Designation first and then we can help you work on getting you MEPD Deployed. :td::thumbsup:

Ok, thanks for the tips, but now I have a few more issues.

First off, I'm thinking the problem is with my armor itself. I'm noticing pieces that don't match some of the other builds on these sites.

My main concern is that there isn't enough length on the sides of the kidney and ab pieces to meet together, I'm a little too fat I guess, lol. Is it possible to add to the sides and still pass for approval, or am I kinda screwed?