Jancelot's TD Build (TM)

Jancelot

Howdy. Finally getting around to my TD build. I made a deal with my wife that I'd wait until we had a house with a garage and proper workbench. That day has come. :)

Troopermaster armor is in the States and will be in my hands soon. In the meantime I've started on my pack. It's a mix of Dirty Boy and Crashmann parts. I'm targeting Sergeant Roadblock v2 with Pack #2.

My time is tight so progress will be deliberate. But here's my start from this past week. Already need to go back and do some work on the cistern. Was overzealous with my painting and missed the detail work.

20140702_085727_zpsztgpmcc7.jpg

20140702_124353_zps8bkaqgjw.jpg

20140702_140913_zps32l7qxzi.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! My build times are pretty long as I like to dig in on detail and my time is limited. I'd say each one has averaged a year and half.

TM brown box will be picked up from FedEx tonight!

Arms sized and trimmed. Ready for gluing. TM pieces on the sides with an AP in the middle for comparison (it's my clean suit).

20140710_195823_zpsfyx2ajbq.jpg

Although not necessary, I prefer to add inside strips as well. It effectively doubles the assembly time, but gives me warm fuzzy peace of mind. Inside biceps in progress (more clamps arriving tomorrow to speed the process).

20140710_210300_zpsmp1p20l8.jpg

I already have a TM bucket I've been wearing with my clean suit. Time to convert to TD.

20140710_210332_zps22nuhwq7.jpg

20140710_210402_zpsv7kfzwpd.jpg

2014-07-10%2023.15.27_zpsrpojknsr.jpg

Milestone crossed. All major upper torso pieces assembled. Transferred straps from my TK for initial fitting. Final trimming and sanding, belt, and bicep hooks, and strap fabrication are up next.

20140719_170143_zpsbi19qdap.jpg

20140719_170304_zpsx3bt8o3e.jpg

TKBoots I've had in storage awaiting this project.

20140719_170458_zpscry6es9w.jpg

Slow progress this week due to RL. I'm away this weekend as well. But I did make progress on the belt and started work on the shins. If anyone needs some Chicago screws I have 90 extra of them. :)

20140723_223844_zpsbyjkxepj.jpg

Hey there , nice work. I to have begun the strapping part of my build and having a heck of a time trying to make the snap thru the ABS. I have bought the pliers , pre drill holes and about to give on it and go Velcro.. Any advice?

Hey Dave. A few notes that made it easier for me.

1. Countersink your holes so the pole part of the snap sits snugger.

2. I found the pliers to be okay, but difficult to get consistent results. Switching to a setter/anvil combo was night and day for ease, efficiency, and accuracy.

3. Once the snaps are set, use a heat gun to push the edges down so the ABS sits flush to the surface. Example here. You can also custom shape pieces as needed. Then glue.

4. I considered just using webbing or a thick cloth for my base as well. I did use that for the shoulders and it's very sturdy and forms to the surface completely. I know some use it for all of their snaps.

You can also go original strapping and forego snaps altogether. I personally don't care for it, though. Snaps done right have never failed me and I enjoy the flexibility of being able to easily disassemble the torso.

Hope that helps.

Torso test fit. Note, I do not have side strapping. I was anticipating having to shim the sides like my AP, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how much more room there is in a TM. I was pushing the limits of AP at 6' and 185. I already have noted several adjustments (including shortening the shoulder straps and bringing the forearms up about 1/2"), but let me know what you all think.

test_torso_front_zps5034b32f.jpg

test_torso_back_zps328486fb.jpg

test_torso_right_zpse4404fdc.jpg

test_torso_left_zpsdcd0e6a8.jpg

Minor progress tonight. Cut out sniper plate baking and glued the internal shims on the greaves.

Not pictured, but I installed the split rivets this past weekend as well.

20140804_222216_zps0qnclslm.jpg

20140804_215238_zps9kcn4fqs.jpg

Nice! You're build looks great. Looking forward to seeing it properly dirty.

Greaves complete save the elastic and hook. I ordered the wrong size hooks. Thighs underway.

20140808_204944-1_zpsdg28w7zb.jpg