Imperial storm troopers.

Rolf

Hi there troops. Just a quick post. In Star Wars a new hope from 1977. Obi wan says to Luke. When they find the blast away sand crawler: only imperial storm troopers shoot that pricise. So looking into that we are not sand troopers by name but all imperial storm troopers. The imperial storm troopers on tattoine are also imperial storm troopers just whit bigger guns. Back packs and so on. The 501st td aka trooper desert or sand trooper are just a fan name I guess. But the movie accurate name must be imperial storm troopers. If not we must picture clean Death Star storm troopers hitting the sand crawler on tattoine. This topic is nothing major. Just for fun looking into kind of a talk. Peace out brothers :-)

Yes Rolf,

"Sandtroopers" are allegedly Imperial Stormtroopers with extra training in weapons, tactics and equipment to perform in difficult and extreme environments and circumstances, the elite of the Imperial Stormtrooper Army. The fact that they were deployed to Tattooine to search for the droids which is a Desert like environment must have been the catalyst to our name. :td:

Yes.

AFAIK, the sandtroopers are part of the same Stormtrooper group we see on the Tantive IV. There, Vader tells the imperial officer on soft armor (clothes) to send a "detachment to retrieve those droids". So probably the Sandtroopers were just the same TKs with extra gear...

Also, Hasbro made it kindof official when they named the figure "Sandtrooper". For many years, all action figures, including the 6" Black Series, have the name Sandtrooper on the package.

How about this: "Rangers" are part of the army, and are soldiers, but they got the name Rangers after being trained for their elite unit. Maybe it is the same. Just as Navy Seals, SAS, and a big etc.

Saludos

Yes.

AFAIK, the sandtroopers are part of the same Stormtrooper group we see on the Tantive IV. There, Vader tells the imperial officer on soft armor (clothes) to send a "detachment to retrieve those droids". So probably the Sandtroopers were just the same TKs with extra gear...

Also, Hasbro made it kindof official when they named the figure "Sandtrooper". For many years, all action figures, including the 6" Black Series, have the name Sandtrooper on the package.

How about this: "Rangers" are part of the army, and are soldiers, but they got the name Rangers after being trained for their elite unit. Maybe it is the same. Just as Navy Seals, SAS, and a big etc.

Saludos

I agree, they are the same troops form the Tantive IV but with extra kit and weapons to suit the climate of Tatooine.

Its the same as soldiers deploying to a desert counrty; they change their camo and equipent to suit the enviroment

Right, special ops, rangers for sure. Davin Felth was a highly trained soldier who was sent to Tattooine so the Emporer wouldn't find out about the design flaw of the AT-AT. So he was a SnowTrooper before being a TD. Kinda cool back story. I imagine he also had a TK armor. I Know I do, cause I'm Davin Felth.... Lolz.

The whole StormTrooper can't hit anything is Bologna , we were ordered to let the rebels escape to find the base, we were told to Set For Stun. Vader Knew how important Luke and Leia were, that's why we never shot them.

Only Imperial StormTroopers are so precise. Taking out that sand crawler was a piece of cake for our training, the whole Aunt Beru , Uncle Owen thing could have been avoided, but, one thing led to another , and we were following orders.

I'll never forget the smell of burning Jawa...

All good, but the filmed sandies were the first filmed stormtroopers, and then their appearance changed mid-filming, to include the black stripes added to the helmet, ribbed shoulder straps, and hang boxes on the belt. We just happen to be smart enough to recognize that they should've left well enough alone....lol.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I find the moniker of "Sandtrooper" an unfortunate designation. They were deployed strormtroopers with packs and heavy weapons kits (TD == "trooper deployed"?). That's a movie accurate distinction.

One could assume they would've been deployed similarly to all sorts of environments. Then again the troops in Jedi didn't have the gear. But they were garrisoned at a fixed base, not in the field. That's why they had Stormtroopers (Scout Battle Gear). :)

A clean "Sandtrooper" should be fully permissible, IMO, outside of the "Heavy Weapons Trooper" variant. Not that I'd necessarily make one. Being dirty is where it's at!

Below is the original "Snowtrooper" figure packaging. I wish our variant had been Stormtrooper (Field Battle Gear) or something similar.

SWESB41ImpStormTrp130929Large-1_zps54008

• 4 months later...

Well just my two sense but I don't think all costumes were referred to by a specific name. It think it's more of a way of us organizing. Everyone in the real military are generally just called soldiers (troopers). But they all have specialized jobs (medics,radar,sniper) so it fair to assume they are just all stormies with different designations or appropriate weather gear.

• 4 months later...

BUMP - Was having this discussion with my coworker. And because I drive a school bus and he is my "loadmaster", we discussed it on and off for four hours. A little background on coworker - old guy, served in Vietnam and is retired pilot. He has the experience of the military to back up his theories.

"If Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise. Why cant they shoot a dang thing through the rest of the movie?"

Answer - because Sandies are more specialized for the environs they are in. Just like how the military has more specialized groups. You can be in the more specialized group - but you have to be proficient at being "regular army" to move on up.

Unless you subscribe to the "Boba Fett did it" theory.

A few months ago I came to the realization that the sandtroopers shown on screen could be two different squads. Why? We see one group track the droids from the pod to the sandcrawler to the Lars homestead. This group could have come from the Star Destroyer since they seem more adept (and ruthless) at doing their job.

The second group would be the road block group who let the droids escape via the power of the Force. I would put them as a local garrison/police squad - a portion of which show up at the cantina after Han kills Greedo. The Star Destroyer group are contacted by Garindan and then attack the Falcon.

I'm basing all of this on the Falcon attack scene. When the Falcon lifts off one group is still in the hangar. We then immediately see what appears to be part of the roadblock group watch the Falcon take off. If part of the locals joined the Destroyer group, it would also explain why there are multiple squad leaders and sergeants shown on scree.

So it may be a stretch on my part dreaming this up or I just have too much time on my hands.

I had always thought that there were four squads..

Three were the local PD. The fourth squad at the escape pod, I always felt that they were perhaps from the destroyer.

The local PD ones acted more like police.

I figured from the size of Mos Eisley (the at a distance shot in the original) that there would probably be more than a few squads.

As a kid I had always wondered why they bothered to show up at the cantina at all. It seemed odd that they would bother with a local disturbance (especially in a place that is known for being rough) when they are in the middle of a city wide search. Only two thoughts I had on it back then was 1: they are a local police force separate from the search group. Or 2: They heard about a lightsaber being involved and have a mandate to check out all reports of lightsabers. That begs the question though if they knew a lightsaber was being swung around in the cantina doesn't that sound like something Vader would have come down and checked out personally?