TrainWreck's Trooper Blunderbuss... I mean T-21 scratch build

This will be a cross posted thread with FISD.

So out the gate I'm saying this is not a tutorial. This is a simple build thread.

I've never attempted anything like this at all.

If you're looking for a good T-21 template may I suggest Pandatrooper's (the one I will be using):

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/10313-new-t-21-blaster-template/?p=130310&hl=blaster%20template&fromsearch=1#entry130310

He also has a great tutorial here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11017-how-to-t-21-blaster-scratch-build/

I'm also very fond of Batphobic's build tutorial over at MEPD:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=12776

So with all of that out of the way lets get this circus started!

First I had a friend at a print shop print me up a couple of Pandatrooper's templates on large single sheets of paper (many people just print it out in sections and tape it together).

IMAG1426.jpg

I then cut out the bottom side view of the template and using Batphobic's trick flipped it over, used a pencil to layer on grafite along the outline (on the reverse side of the print), flipped it back over and taped it to an appropriate length piece of 1"x8" white board, and the traced out the outline with the pencil thus transferring the image (my English teacher is rolling over in her grave from that sentence):

IMAG1424.jpg

Now I don't have a band saw or an electric jigsaw. I have a coping saw. So in an attempt to develop Zen like patience I began:

IMAG1427.jpg

...and I slowly worked my way across the bottom:

IMAG1428.jpg

...and once done with that I drilled a hole in the trigger guard and cut that out:

IMAG1430.jpg

IMAG1431.jpg

...and that's what I had in me tonight. I thing for a first attempt it's not terrible. I have a lot of sanding ahead of me to get the rough shape defined. Only major problem so far is when I did the front bottom bulge of the grip I was sawing at an angle instead of straight across so "cut off" the buldge on that side but I will research fixing it.

...and that is day one.

Brian, thats some good old fashioned craftsmanship there. You dont see a lot of that. Cant wait to see the finished product. Something you will truly be proud of when your done. :thumbsup:

I hadn't mentioned it here but I broke my coping saw yesterday. So I had to borrow a saw from a friend.

...and...

I'll have some pictures up a little later when I get a bit more done. My friend dropped of the jigsaw which on the one hand is infinitely faster but it is at the cost of accuracy for me. I got the rest of the gun cut out and two 1/4" oak panels for either side of the butt stock. I'm currently glueing those on, cursing that they don't match up perfectly with the center piece, and will start trying to sand, correct the shape, and just general shaping tomorrow for the buttstock. Eh if this all goes astray I have a plan B for the buttstock. I'm only $10 in right now anyhoo...

Update time!

So when we last saw my build I was in the middle of cutting out the basic shape. After a broken coping saw and an electric jigsaw emergency drop I continued forward.

I cut the rest of the gun out, the two side plates for the buttstock, and glued those puppies on.

IMAG1433.jpg

now it might be obvious but I picked up oak paneling (plywood) for the side pieces. This is having a mixed blessing as it chips off as you work with it but hopefully all of that will give the weathering a nice look when I eventually get to that stage.

So I left the stock clamped over night and then compared how badly my jigsaw work matched up.

IMAG1464.jpg

IMAG1465.jpg

Hmmmm... Not real excited by my work so I pulled the jigsaw back out and trimmed off the excess.

IMAG1468.jpg

IMAG1467.jpg

So I will just give you a series of photos for this next part. Basically I pulled out my electric palm sander and started shaping the stock. I started by rounding of the top and then moved to the bottom. Now on a Lewis the stock is thinner on the bottom than the top so I tried to somewhat emulate that with my shaping. So I rounded out the bottom at a steeper angle than the top then just started sanding like a maniac all over.

IMAG1469.jpg

IMAG1470.jpg

IMAG1472.jpg

IMAG1473.jpg

...and this is what I have so far:

IMAG1482.jpg

IMAG1480.jpg

IMAG1481.jpg

IMAG1474.jpg

IMAG1478.jpg

IMAG1479.jpg

IMAG1483.jpg

IMAG1485.jpg

...and then one quick comparison against the "master."

1399830965648.jpg

Close enough for imperial work!

It's not completely symmetrical yet and I haven't decided if I'm going to take off the entire outer layer of the plywood or leave it for a rough weathered look.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

It's ingenuity by necessity my friend. It's a miracle that I talked my wife into letting me save up for armor over the next year. I couldn't imagine talking her into buying a T-21. Besides all I have is time before I get my armor next year.

Nice work. I started on mind a while ago and just stoppes working on it for now because its just such a not fun work for me. Pretty hard too. I am not working great with tools and stuff. Cant wait to see how yours turns out!!! :)

Can anyone verify the diameter of the PVC pipe that is to be used on the receiver (from the cooling fins back to the stock).

I've read the tutorials and it says that its 2" PVC but the pictures I see in Pandatrooper's images looks like it may be 1" or 1.5" PVC.

Now that I think about it your only using about a third of the circumference of the pipe on both sides, not half. If you look through pandatrooper's tutorial I believe you will see what I mean.

Sorry for the media blackout. Unfortunately with summer rapidly approaching I've had to start diverting funds to things like daycare and one kid is joing up with a swim team (but my wife's car will finally be paid off in two months so hopefully that will open up some funds).

I did find a hobby store the next town down from me where I can source styrene for the side details and some parts on the magazine receiver. I also just jumped on a cheap lot of 6 Enfield straps so I'll at least have those and will will be able to offer 4 of them up for sale pretty cheaply for anyone else working on a T-21.

I did come to the unfortunate realization that my stock is a quarter inch too thin. I kept thinking it was a bit narrow. I'm just going to live with it for now. My grip has also come out a bit wonky as well as the trigger guard turned out to be too thin and the edeges on it broke off when I was hand sanding. I'll do repairs with Bondo when I get some and document the whole process. Until then take care all!

So I jumped on a lot of 6 Enfield slings on eBay for cheap but it turns out of course that they were straps for Enfield ammo pouches. They are one inch wide and 28 inches long... I'm tempted to make them work (sewing time anyone?) but man!

Well I didn't name myself Train Wreck for nothing. ;)

• 6 months later...

So OK! I got a bit side tracked with a Tusken build (501st approved now) and putting together my ATA bucket. But I'm back to it!

First off for this new round I got out my old trusty pandatrooper templates and got a good transfer on to some woof for my receiver plate and did some slight modifications.

IMAG2608_1.jpg

IMAG2609.jpg

IMAG2610.jpg

...and I've started getting all the piping cut and placed. I bought a size too small for my front barrel but some cutting and gluing with a yoga mat later and I got the right diameter. The plan is just to Bondo that whole part.

IMAG2611.jpg

Not much done but it feels good to get back to it.

I ordered an original Lewis gas regulator key and an Enfield strap swivel this week so should get those in the mail soon.

T-21 here I come!

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I've got some more work done. I'm not incredibly happy with the way my receiver plate is coming out but I still have a ton of bondo-ing to do.

I've got some wood staining done, made a pho brass butt plate, cut the frame of the rear sight out, put some soft details on the receiver plate, put on the "cooling" tubes, put a magazine receiver on, put an original Lewis gas regulator key on the bottom of the barrel, and an original Enfield Sling swivel on the butt stock.

Been a productive weekend all and all.

IMAG2699.jpg

IMAG2701.jpg

IMAG2725.jpg

IMAG2734.jpg

IMAG2737.jpg

IMAG2741.jpg

IMAG2739.jpg

Thanks! I've been slowly working on this sucker since the beginning of summer. I'm in the middle of some projects where I'm getting used to using bondo then I'll probably start working on the gun again.

Those look great btw!

So I've been pretty unhappy with how my receiver plate has been turning out. Well it turns out that my local library has a maker space with a 3D printer so I've decided to try modeling a receiver plate on my computer and then print it out as a prototype to cast (the plastic that it uses to print can't stand up to more than 140 F so it would make sense to get it into a different materiel since the interior of my car runs that high in the summer).

I've got about 2/3 of it modeled. What do you guys think so far?

lewis3dplatetwothirds.jpg