Canteen Bee Stinger

Bulldog44

Originally TK0600 posted that the bee stinger part might actually be a water canteen. Comparing the screenshots and the canteen he suggested, I thought they matched extremely well. I agree with the point that the texture was not consistent with what we can see on screen but the shape, lines and curvatures are almost identical.

I looked on the net for some of those retro canteens and found a few sellers. One in Austria and one in Croatia. Huge thanks to a super FISD member who helped me purchase one from the Austrian seller and a special thanks to an extremely nice guy from Croatia, I have a few of these canteens in hand. Here they are:

29e576b6-25c6-4cf9-8251-4484ea1f7768_zps

e9d21a21b44dda2b287f0cff0b08b3cc_zpsa1de

The 600ml canteen side by side with a faucet cover:

f80baf4ffd4bfb8fc677bbc94b5153e2_zps4382

Here is a screenshot that really shows how close these canteens look to the real pack part.:

33089277a89d8e6518c1bc6ab1a0877a_zpsd832

Even if they are not the exact same canteens used, I think they are darn close. Let me know what you think.

Thanks Michael. I hope to get my pack underway soon and use the canteen.

I am thinking of making resin copies of the top section for members who want to add that to their faucet covers for extra detail. Or even better, I'd like to cast full copies with the option to smoothen out the textured area for more accuracy.

I always thought it was an army canteen?

Vince , it would be interesting if this turns out to be in fact what was used. another mystery solved if so. I am making no 100% claim on this but just think the canteens look the part.

Thanks Rolf & Rick. Hopefully this is what they used and looks the part when its all painted and installed.

Rick, If I get back to NY this summer I will take one with me . I did buy another 1000 ml canteen from Etsy which looks like the exact same canteen but made by another company. Looks good too but haven't yet got to see in person. From the looks of all the screenshots I referred to, the 600ml canteen looks correct for most of the packs but the1000 ml could have been used on one pack from what I can make out.

And sorry I never got back to posting about my dad' s return trip to Home Depot for more faucet covers. He told me they were not the rounded ones but as you mentioned the squarish ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought it. Had to have a green one too. Post pics when its in hand. Hoping to make resin casts or rubber casts in the near future. Still working on my TK. When that is done I will begin making a mold of one of the canteens.

Studying how to make whole casts that are hollow or 2 separate hollowed out halves. Light weight and easy to ship. Plus less cost for the materials. Stuff in Japan is not cheap. Keep you posted when this starts to happen.