Thoughts on this weathering

Captain Jack

Wanted to get some input. I have weathered this rig like four times and took it all off. Starting to feel like I have no clue lol. I weathered it using less is more with grays and tans. My GML said it was to light. He wants to see more detail in the cracks and crannys. So I went full on Rolf and used only raw umber. I'm pretty happy with it..... But have a nagging thought legs are to dark and not liking butt kidney area. Please help with input if you can.help out a lost trooper lol. Here are pics keep in mind it's outside in full sunlight.

673D4A19-E80F-4D37-B670-3C6001CAC55E_zps

159762DE-F1E8-43F6-9966-326647221F46_zps

5CF723BC-36BD-4681-B82C-61E012E28D87_zps

C74E78FE-3EA8-4933-A47E-3B419EBF53CE_zps

E19601CB-F90A-4D92-9E67-9DA54F21B8FF_zps

Matt, looks ok , a bit on the dark side..lol, the legs anyway. Tom had me go over mine twice as well.

I used black first. Rub it on, wipe most off, leaving some in the cracks and random spots. Then I mixed raw umber with a lighter brown, made a color in between, as the black adds the darkness. Again rubbing on, wiping off. Making sure to leave some pigment behind. Some of my armor went very smooth. I did have one of my thighs took me two hours... I kept wiping all the ain't off. That was frustrating. Going over it essentially 4 times, twice with each color, really added some cool layers.

My main trick( secret weapon ) was wet sanding very lightly with 600 grit paper after the paint had fully dried. No body would back me up on this, but when I built my clone, it worked like a champ. It leaves the dark color in the lows and brightens up the high spots, just be super careful you don't go to hard , as you will have to start all over again. After wet sanding , I hit a few areas with pigment, like the chest and some other areas where you want the armor to be the dirtiest ( think where the dust, dirt and oild would settle naturally )

You got this man, almost there....

I would lighten the legs, just a bit with wet sanding, and do the torso once more, getting the nooks and crannies , then wet sand.... But shhhh, that parts a secret...lol

Good luck, Matt , I'm pulling for ya brother...

Cool, ya know what I just noticed? The thumb print is supposed to be on the left arm.... Not sure if theat is a mirrored image, but it may not need to be adjusted for deployment though. Man, always something ain't it...???

We are all here for support my friend, glad I could help .

Rolf thanks so much. That means a lot. I loved the way your rig looked. I read a lot about weathering. I saw where you tried it all and concluded Raw umber was key. I wanted less is more but came out more is more lol. I'm happy with the look. Thanks Rolf

Jason I based the arms from this pic. The squared off one goes on the right. Is this not right?55ece4b1eff1c9fc1aeba6342b088cb5_zps22d9

Ya know, I was thinking that. Some kits had only one side of the moulds, so they have matching pieces here and there. The originals had one thumb print on the left.

TE must have modified the biceps to work.

Move along..lol