Bee Stinger Found part (Maybe)

tk0600

I noticed on a picture of the inside of the Snow Speeder two canisters that looked very much like the bee stinger that hangs below the pack. They look allot like canteens.

So, I did some google image searching on old canteens. And I found this:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5427515/il_570xN.333554894.jpg

Take a look, Doesn't it look like the perfect match for the bee stinger?

http://mepd.net/photo_gallery/Photo_Albums/Pages/Back_Packs.html#8

I found this on Etsy, looks like it is a Canteen from the 70s. Produced by an Italian company.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/98852517/vintage-orange-italian-giostyle-canteen

Sorry if this has already been found/discussed. I did a search and couldn't find any posts about this.

Thoughts?

post-246-0-57838500-1392664649_thumb.jpg

Also found this, looks like a longer version of the one in the picture above.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Giostyle-1L-Safari-Expedition-Water-Bottle-Festivals-70s-Retro-Mod-Indie-/331004030915?nma=true&si=niN2O1qF9p0Og8vgb7OznLMEaSY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This one is called the Girostyle 1L Safari Expedition Water Bottle.

I am guessing the L in 1L is for long. Whereas the other is the short version of this line of bottles.

By the way, this was the snow speeder image that got be searching for a canteen. You can see in the lower right hand corner, two canteen looking jugs. They looked allot like the bee stinger. And, I know that the packs were poached for the rebel trooper packs, so, why not scalp the bee stingers for the inside of the snow speeder.

I know, allot of assumptions, but, what if?

post-246-0-50817700-1392669357_thumb.jpg

YEAH!

Those really look like bee stingers.

Just two extra thingies on the top... and the canteen lid...

This don't look as close as the one you found anyway, but that is a great lid for sure!

This is exciting!!!!

Let's see if we can make a new discovery here.

Saludos

Very well could be. According to the costume designers they scrambled to make the packs and pauldrons by getting stuff from camping / scouting backpacks and sporting goods stores for the chest protector / pauldrons. A canteen isn't that much of a stretch!

Been looking at vintage canteen pictures online for the last 20 mins and I know think that you really found something very very cool and interesting...

I still think that is not close enough, but I can see the resemblance in structure and I can imagine that sizewise it would be very close.

If that particular canteen was popular, there could be a cheaper mock up by another brand, or even a more basic one from before this specific model.

Interesting!!!

Saludos.

That is certainly a cool find and new possibility for the bee stinger. Found this after digging a bit based on your find. Same canteen but different maker. The upper cap area looks very convincing on the canteens compared to the original pack stinger.

post-5292-0-22770600-1392816417_thumb.jp

Just watched ANH again (sandtrooper parts) in super slow motion about 5 times and I think that it really looks like the same shape and size. The rounded shape and the part that tapers up where the cap would be matches extremely well. The textured area is the only thing that I see to be different. This part of the canteen could be a cheap skin of plastic that might be easily removed revealing a smooth surface underneath.