Backpack 3 / Fearful beginner question(s)

Gladius

hi there

still not PO yet sadly, but I hope I will make it.

Now after some heavy months of hard times and stress I started with the armour and now also the

backpack as it maybe could be a must for general approval. But I think also that a pack belongs to

the sandtrooper too.

I must admit I had lot of respect to start. Hope the missing parts will come together soon too.

Now, I'm on Backpack 3, browsed threads, looked at and save lot of pics. Sadly in some threads I cant see all.

So far I started putting together what I can already build before attaching and assemblying. But more and longer

I'm becoming way worried as I do not know how free one can be in the way how to put on those things. And in the

end it's "only" the look that it needs to have of the 5 different packs.

An example here, exhaust port box. I have Rick's boxes and as they are not flush, I asked myself how to do the assembly

of it, without going danger to have to bend behind me grabbing fallen off things at first troop.

1) I designed the form onto a spacing plate for a better fixing

the unflush part I cut off

1622888_271840712972216_219161058_n.jpg

2) like here

1656322_271840726305548_1406733461_n.jpg

3) much better to screw now

1536659_271840722972215_2121739529_n.jpg

Is that "okay" ?

I also have this solution in mind for the left box on top and the radio for example

On the main gear I added screws on the edges . Sadly not sinking screws as I didnt find such with that length. The slots on the heads I will mold for sure.

Just dont wana have it fall apart.

Thank You in advance!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

That looks good to me, I am new to the detachment but I am no stranger to well built things. I notice on my pack, which was constructed by Rick, the pieces are just zip tied in place, making the items move and shift easily. I would think screwing them in place would make for a better product, but then you will need to reinforce from the back side. Good luck.

Check Scootch's back pack build. His really beefs things up, but then again, you want to be careful and not add too much weight. Your shoulders will thank you...

Thanks!

Well I bet it's gona be "heavy" :-)

Now made it that way. I think almost all attach the parts on to those long stripes (dont know the real matching word now)

It was just not pefectly matching on the lower end. Would have had to screw on far edges. Didnt want to do that.

Using almost light M3 screws only and drill all by hand

1655999_275588425930778_1980053753_n.jpg

Hey Michael, how are you bro.

That second solution is the way to go.

MOst props and gear in the SW movies, specially in ANH, was just put together however they could. Many times being it loose, messy and not perfect in any way.

That is what makes them so special.

So, you could of course be super anal trying to meet every specific part on the exact spot... or just make it clumsy and reckless... as long as it recreates the look and feel, it will be fine for the most.

Zip ties, gaffer's tape and other easy fixes and solutions are welcome and part of out build every day of the week. Also, going the perfect build is accepted and actually applauded. Both ways have a space here. What is important for us is to recreate the looks, not necessarily the functioning or techniques used.

Your pack looks good already. Keep it up and post pictures. Ask as many questions as you need... we will always try to help.

Saludos

Thank You Juan!

Yeah indeed most of ANH on Sandies specially I can imagine it was put together in a hurry

or with improvisation

Nice that I can post here. I mostly watched the tips thread that is pinned here, PO approvals

on how the backpack locks or things might have been attached and also pandatroopers build so far.

As I'm not that electrically good and equipped I go way hard ways . Drilling holes with a modeller's

driller for kits is hard, but saver for me.

Agree that it Needs a certain look and I try to match it, also with later weathering.

This is now from today the upper part, more things are already prepared for giving it a go when missing pieces arrive

1912307_276482252508062_1490425033_n.jpg

Nice...

I also drill most of the wholes in my gear with a modeling hand drill. I do have a Dremel but I found it to be very difficult to use it in a precise way.

So I also go the hard way... and enjoy it actually.

Your armor is looking good.

When you move to the lower blue box, remember it should have 5 strips, not 3. Just add them and it will work fine.

Saludos.

Nice...

I also drill most of the wholes in my gear with a modeling hand drill. I do have a Dremel but I found it to be very difficult to use it in a precise way.

So I also go the hard way... and enjoy it actually.

Your armor is looking good.

When you move to the lower blue box, remember it should have 5 strips, not 3. Just add them and it will work fine.

Saludos.

Thank You Juan. Very good that You tell me with the blue box, didnt realize that so far. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thx rick. I sadly do not know what is meant with the cistern . S there a picture showing what you mean? I went after the pinned thread wich says 29.5 ". Maybe this 29.5 is incl caps. On mine its additional 29.5 plus the caps. I thought it way long too. might be just miscalculation. And sorry my englishs not too bad. Its just bit different on spcific parts. I tried to find an overview scheme of what is what..

@Thanks both!

now with the cut (and repaint, argh) , quite a length that it was too long now total 29.5"

Hurrying brings mistakes, gona buildon my TM tomorrow and tried to have it finish, to see

how it is on the complete armor with wearing it and do maybe necessary fixes

1896724_279226072233680_60958094_n.jpg