ROM/FX mounting tips

mr_hair

Hello everyone, my ROM/FX arrived yesterday. Absolutely amazing I have to say. I'm just wonderng what everyone thinks is the best way of mounting it. Obviously there are tons of methods, but just wanted to hear a few ideas. I've been thinking about having the mic inside the balaclava, the board & battery in a project box behind the chest plate and the speaker maybe in the tool pouch on the shoulder. Is this an ill-advised way of doing it?

I also received it yesterday and it truly is a wonderful piece.

Anyway I was just wondering the same thing. If the speaker fits in the tool pouch I'm guessing it's a good place to have it since it will be protected and the sound would be good and coming from around the head area. I have T-21 pouches and the problem I see is the sound coming from the waste instead of the head, has anyone experienced this problem? Or is it even noticeable? Haven't tried it yet but I'm also thinking of putting the battery and amp stuff in the chest and the mic I was thinking of fastening on the helmet but now when you mention it will it be better to have it fastened to your head maybe?

I've seen a few pics of lid mounted mics, but problem is when you take your helmet off for a breather it's attached to your body by a wire. Plus I was thinking if it's in the balavlava it's more likely to stay in the right position.

That's true but I was thinking of attaching it with week magnets or something so I could just thread it through the neckseal and then in to the helmet and attach it to the magnet. When I want to take the helmet of it would easily come of from the magnet and be hanging by my neck instead. The benefit of this would be that you could "look" away from the mic if you need to cough or just don't want to be heard. what do you think of that?

I switched the mike out with on eI had that had a headset. The headset stays on my head when the helmet goes on and off. The speaker is attached to a neck strap that allows it to hang under the chest armor facing out, and the rom FX in a baggie at the moment is velcroed inside the chest armor.

I plan on getting a project box to put the rom FX and battery inside to protect it better eventually.

I used this same set up on my Icom/Aker to great effect.

I have also seen people velcro the speaker in the chest armor and that works fine as well.

Both of my rom fx units are mounted in helmet with Hovie speakers. Totally self contained and I get a lot of compliments because the sound comes from the helmet, as supposed to. Yes it's not as loud, but realistic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...