1st attempt...thoughts?

Iantrebinski@gmail.com

Well that is a dirty bucket!!

Looking great, and great texture and technique!

Good job!

About too dirty, it comes down to what you want to achieve?

If you want to go Police Officer, it is never too dirty as long as it is done correctly.

Weathering is a very personal stuff when building Sandtroopers!

But, if you want to achieve SWAT, thats a whole other story, as you will need to replicate as close as possible a single and specific pattern of weathering seen on one trooper of your choice appearing in ANH.

Anyway, it does looks really cool.

Saludos.

BTW, for better pictures, try to step back a bit more. About 6 feet away from the bucket or armor, and zoom in. That will make better pictures regarding shape and proportion of armor.

Saludos.

Wow, thanks Brother! Was really worried I'd be mistaken for a homeless sandie, but I'll keep going in this style.

I'm definitely not going for SWAT and haven't made my mind up about deployment yet, but provided I can get dirty and get my TD number, I'll be more than happy.

Thanks also for the photo tip - will try that in future.

/salute

Thanks Brad - spent tonight adding the finishing touches and started to fit & wire the fans; got 2 of 4 up and running and will get the other 2 fitted tomorrow night.

Will get back to weathering at the weekend, and crack on as much as possible - I want to get it all finished before my daughter arrives for holiday next weekend ;)

Thanks Shark!

Got the shoulders and arms finished tonight - got tomorrow completely set aside to get the body done, so super-psyched about that :)

Have got a cheeky plan for instant weathering on my pouches and pauldron, so IF it works I'll be sure to share with everyone.... ;)

Looks cool man....I say if your not going SWAT, run with what you like. There's a fine line between looking like you just got out of a tough mudders run or you were in a battle. I'm sure once you complete it all you'll do some tweaking here and there. Good luck man

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice and Dirty to me. I have a question for all you guys that use the fullers earth method. Whats the best way to put it on? Also does it come off with water or soap? How do you control or dilute it when applying? With paint you can always water it down like a wash and or rub some off till you get to the desired dirty level till its dry. But Ive not used Fullers earth before. Or the Baseball rubbing mud alot of you talk about. If it is washable then do you need to clear coat over the top of it once desired level is achieved?

Hey Sarge,

I followed the video from Trooperbay and was really pleased with the result; basically, use hairspray as the 'glue', and build up the layers.

I did an initial, light coating of the sand-coloured FE to provide the overall grubby base coat. Then a solid application of the cocoa-coloured one, focussing on the creases & crevices. Once this is dry, use a damp rag (I used a flannel, to get an uneven appearance) to break up the FE and push/wipe/smear it into all the cracks and break up any lines or streaks.

Finally, another light coating of the slate-coloured, to give that top-coat, grimy look. Once you're happy with the result, give the armour a really good blast of hairspray to lock everything in, then just lightly buff out the shine, so it doesn't look too new.

I really just followed TB's video, and the only differences were;

a) the personalisation fo the actual weathering strength/appearance, and

B) i didn't sand as much; I just relied on the wet rag

I've got some WIP photos & videos, which I'll upload soon and will add some more of the finished product - I'll put a thread up when ready.

Thanks for the pointers Vossk. I still havent decided which method Im going to use yet. I know alot of people use the fullers earth, and some swear by the Baseball rubbing mud. Also many use traditional painting methods. Ive seen some very good results with each so it just depends on what I can find and which method I think I will be most comfortable with.

No worries dude.

I did experiment with paints on some spare ABS that RS kindly provided but felt they just looked too flat; the blotches, sweeps & smears from the Fullers earth is far more natural and gives a crusty "dusted on", rather than "wiped off" look.

The other advantage, from a disaster recovery perspective, is that the hairspray/Fullers earth combo washes straight off after 20 seconds under a warm shower, no rubbing/scrubbing required as with paints. I speak from experience... ;)