Back Pack Main Boxes

1970s

Hi there,

I believe the Back pack main boxes are made from Photography Developing Trays - I have not been able to locate trays exactly like the ones on the Sandtrooper backpack. If anyone knows the exact trays used - let me know. I have an ebay link below so you can see some Developing Trays that are close but not exact. From my calculations from the Marmit sandtrooper - each tray should be roughly 12" X 9" X 3" - at the top and they taper down to the bottom making it a little smaller. This would make each set of boxes attached together about only 6 inches wide and the upper and lower boxes together only about 18 inches in total height. See the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEVELOPING-TRAYS-6- ... dZViewItem

If you think about it also = the dimentions of the marmit backpack main boxes - 12 X 9 x 3 is perfact for an 8" X 10" photo (Photographic paper) do be developed in.

thanks,

jack

I am so stoked by all the effort everyone is making. It seems we are on the threshold of perfection in the pack building area. Its only a matter of time before all screen accurate parts are found. Lets all be careful that we are working to identify the parts that are screen accurate. I am going to go ahead and just say this. The Marmite and Kotobukiya packs are cool toy renditions but they are not screen accurate at all! The guys at MDK have done fantastic work but they clearly state they are building a Marmit pack. The packs are wrong in so many ways, one the color is terrible. There is not a Turquoise pack in the film the color is clearly medium blue.

The solar dish is completely wrong, as we all know it was not molded as a solid piece and it is not stark white. As was mentioned the boxes are also to large. We should dump all photo reference to these toy packs when trying to build screen accurate ones and strictly use shots from the film.

Dear All,

I have an idea - if you look at some of the side shots from the screen reference - you can get a rough idea of scale from looking where the boxes lye on the armor. For example - to me it looks as if the both of the 2 main boxes that are on top of each other start around the square in the back plate of the armor and end at the top of the Butt Plate. If you take into consideration that most of the sandtrooper pictured (from screen Shots) do not have the Upper back Plate of armor and the Lower back Plate over lapping at all - There is a rough distance the both the 2 main boxes are covering. Cut that in half and that should be roughly the size of 1 Main Box.

I'm new to sandtrooper.net - could someone go over all the parts that are know - I just don't want to have missed any.

thanks,

Jack

I recently did that using two known parts, and scaled to an accurate helmet. The main box dimensions are 12 1/2" wide 8 1/4" tall and 2" deep (each half). The angle on the sides is approx 10-15 degrees. All the edges have a radius, though I'm still judging what I believe that to be. As far as additional parts that are positively ID'd, the "radar dish" is a tupperware pitcher lid, the caps on the canisters are tupperware dessert cups, and one of the small containers is a tupperware meat-keeper. Aside from those, everything else is either in dispute, or unidentified.

I recently did that using two known parts, and scaled to an accurate helmet. The main box dimensions are 12 1/2" wide 8 1/4" tall and 2" deep (each half). The angle on the sides is approx 10-15 degrees. All the edges have a radius, though I'm still judging what I believe that to be. As far as additional parts that are positively ID'd, the "radar dish" is a tupperware pitcher lid, the caps on the canisters are tupperware dessert cups, and one of the small containers is a tupperware meat-keeper. Aside from those, everything else is either in dispute, or unidentified.

Copy that and second confirmed.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so stoked by all the effort everyone is making. It seems we are on the threshold of perfection in the pack building area. Its only a matter of time before all screen accurate parts are found. Lets all be careful that we are working to identify the parts that are screen accurate. I am going to go ahead and just say this. The Marmite and Kotobukiya packs are cool toy renditions but they are not screen accurate at all! The guys at MDK have done fantastic work but they clearly state they are building a Marmit pack. The packs are wrong in so many ways, one the color is terrible. There is not a Turquoise pack in the film the color is clearly medium blue.

The solar dish is completely wrong, as we all know it was not molded as a solid piece and it is not stark white. As was mentioned the boxes are also to large. We should dump all photo reference to these toy packs when trying to build screen accurate ones and strictly use shots from the film.

Yes thats the spirit, lets try to work this back pack problem out 0ff the way my TD brothers... Go go

• 1 month later...

i know this thread is old and someone has probably already thought of this, but yesterday when i was at the zoo i saw what looked to be the EXACT boxes used for the backpacks. it was on the floor of the indoor elephant room. it had the ridges on the back and everything! it even looked like the right depth. i asked the zookeeper dude what kind of boxes they were and he said they're the kind used in kitchens at restaurants to carry dirty dishes around. Then it totally hit me! when i was a bus boy at an old job we had a million of these things and we used them to bus tables. though i could be wrong, they looked really close.

heres a link to one site, it was the first one i got when i searched but it might be something worth looking into.

http://www.etundra.com/shop/index.asp?prod...CFQE2PgodBh2yuQ

I still am wrestling with the desert cups..they don't seem big enough to me..has anyone scaled them on a screen shot to verify them?

Posted Image

er...ignore the yellow cirlce..

They look much bigger in the screen shot than in person...

I still am wrestling with the desert cups..they don't seem big enough to me..has anyone scaled them on a screen shot to verify them?

Yep. They are the correct diameter, although the contour looks a little different. This could be attributed to manufacturing variance however. Plus, on several packs the cups still have the little "peg" that sticks off of the bottom intact.

just FYI to the picture up top and developement trays in general, the ridges are going the wrong way.

Copy that! If they were photo trays, maybe they were factory seconds or something

Bus trays are too big. It's a decent lead, but unless the bus tray is a specialty item for tiny espresso shot cups it will be way too big.

• 3 weeks later...