Tried weathering today

Sealsniper33

Looks nice and Dirty! It all depends on the look you are going for. Some guys like it a little more smeared or darker. Some like to look like they fell into a pig sty and rolled around lol. And some like just a bit to look like they've been dusted by a sandstorm. The only real critique I could say on yours to help it be better is to try to use a rag and more circular motions to clear some off. so you dont get as many straight line stroke marks. or dap it on with a sponge maybe. but if you apply it with a foam brush or a real paint bruch make sure to try to go over it with a rag and twist it in circles. this will get rid of the streakyness and help it look more natural. See some of the videos on weathering on the forums here if you havent watched them. They show some real good techniques at the twisting method I'm talking about

Looks nice and Dirty! It all depends on the look you are going for. Some guys like it a little more smeared or darker. Some like to look like they fell into a pig sty and rolled around lol. And some like just a bit to look like they've been dusted by a sandstorm. The only real critique I could say on yours to help it be better is to try to use a rag and more circular motions to clear some off. so you dont get as many straight line stroke marks. or dap it on with a sponge maybe. but if you apply it with a foam brush or a real paint bruch make sure to try to go over it with a rag and twist it in circles. this will get rid of the streakyness and help it look more natural. See some of the videos on weathering on the forums here if you havent watched them. They show some real good techniques at the twisting method I'm talking about

Thank you for the advice sir. I shall try that next time. I was worried that it looked too staged and not natural. Are the colors on the right track? I used Burnt Umber, a touch of golden yellow, and a tan.

Ok so I decided to do up the other set of arms in the one color method. I can't decide now which way to go. If i ever wanted to do SWAT I believe the one color would be easier to modify if need be. I took side by sides of each to show the differences. They look more off white / sandy in person. The flash washes that detail out. Any thoughts on which to go with?

20131015_163557_zpsc3208927.jpg

20131015_163618_zpsac80d41b.jpg

20131015_163637_zpsdadfe05b.jpg

20131015_163653_zps2d4e907f.jpg