Raw Umber weathering of my RS Sandie (photo heavy)

Cantina Craig

Hi all.

Just a few pics and details of my first ever weathering job on my brand new RS armour - gulp!! Even though I cleared UKG and got Police Officer deployment no problem, I still felt that the weathering that RS supplied my kit with was pretty light overall, compared to some of the great looking troopers I see on here. And after looking back at my induction and first troop photos from last weekend, I didn't like the fact I was almost blending with TK's in certain shots.

So I decided to make the big decision to weather it myself. I read all the different ways you guys have done yours on here, and decided to go with the Raw Umber paint method. I mixed up a 1:1 diluted mix of paint and water and used that as an overall undercoat for each section of armour, painted on with a brush and then dabbed off with a rag in a circular motion. When it had dried a little more, I rubbed it to remove sections of it and repeated, this time almost flicking and whipping the rag at the paint on the armour. When I was happy with the randomness of the effect, I added pure Raw Umber to the creases on the armour where sand would naturally collect for a darker effect. I dabbed this off with a damp rag to add a 'smudginess' to make it blend more with the undercoat. I'm very happy with how my armour looks now, definitely has a more Tatooine trooped in look and one that I can't wait to troop with again in a couple of weeks.

Here's my armour as it was originally from RS, and underneath as it is now. :-)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Started with the boots.

Posted Image

Brushed on the diluted undercoat

Posted Image

Rubbed it in with rag

Posted Image

Applied neat Raw Umber and worked in to get a dirty look. I wanted the boots and bottom of shin armour to be my darkest looking areas to simulate standing around in sand and dirt :-)

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Contrast between newly weathered boots and original shins

Posted Image

Looking better

Posted ImagePosted Image

Applied to more bits of armour in the same way

Posted Image

Showing everything weathered except chest,ab plate, back and helmet for contrast

Posted Image

And then fully weathered all over :-)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks bro's, can't tell you how worried I was starting this job. But I absolutely loved doing it and would have happily started another one straight away after I finished this one , ha ha :-)

Great choice of weathering Pat ;-)

• 6 months later...