What to do without Fullers earth or grout

Iantrebinski@gmail.com

Hey all,

In a bit of a jam here;

- Fullers earth is non-existent here

- hardware store only sells grout in white

So;

- is there a reliable way of "dyeing" grout to get different colours?

- if I apply paint, then the white grout, will the grout pick up the colour of the paint?

- if not, is there a viable alternative to these 2 mediums for weathering? Considering I live in the desert, can I simply go and get some actual sand?!?!

All advice much appreciated

And you can also use real mud/sand or paint with a sand mixture to give it dimension.

take the approach consistent with your environment...use what's available and play around with the options and if your not happy with the results you can always order other products.

@clonecollector - yep, it's in lots of colours here, but only the pre-mixed tubes/tubs. The powder is only available in white :(

@iconoclasta - yeah,but i really wanted the lumpy, blotchy effect you get with using solid materials.

I've just been out for a walk with the dogs, and got some really (I mean REALLY) fine sand, in 2 shades. I'm gonna try using this and see what happens. I'm intending to keep a video diary when I start, so will be sure to post it here and let you see my great successes and epic fails :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

shipping may be pricey from Trooperbay, but I think it is worth it. The amount you get is enough to weather, I would guess 2-3 suits (I was skeptical of this when I saw the size of the packages) Once I started playing with it, it really goes a long way. The results are not questionable. I also used unsanded grout (powder) in the color linen (light yellowish tan). cigar and firepit ash, for some varying greys.

About to start my build here, so I guess it's time to get my Fullers.

My son got out every single piece of my armor and laid it out in my bedroom last night, despite me asking him not to. Pretty exciting.

NCAA football today boys. Gigem.

This looks like a good option, but I prefer the natural look from Trooperbay's video using just FE.

The paint is good for "oil" effects but having lived in the desert for over 3 years, I've yet to see my car with any oil on it...just heaps of dust, sand, dust, grit, dust, sand & grit......and some mud, on the 3 days a year when it rains!

I've got a few spare pieces of ABS, kindly supplied by RS, so will experiment and do some side-by-side comparisons of different techniques when I post my WIP photos/videos.