SE sandtrooper research and build thread

Here is where I am at. Still have some detail work. Lvl 2 an 3 will have more detail and a different base. Lvl 1 will be made of more readily available materials.

I will post a build thread.bd1d144167e21e3712f62a15447c3cd4.jpgf2456d24474cbe604c05ec58de2ac46f.jpg3bf0eee316c369ecb548989a7c5f6e67.jpg31f913fd48576a1661d4db4f6bae2de5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, dutchy said:

I'm really liking what I'm seeing here!!! Excellent work so far :duim:

The level 2 pack will match the reference photos exactly.  Most of the parts will have to be 3D printed.  The design process has already begun.

Below are the refrerence photos I am using.  If I had some from underneath the pack, that would help even more.

15665885_10212798665708707_5309765812624

20108120_10212798665828710_1967164516850

20108361_10212798665868711_5743400683125

Shawn,  you might want to look into a vacuum former soon. 3D print master parts and them make parts out of ABS, might help speed things up but it's also costly. You're doing amazing work! Love watching all your project's progress

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CrookKnight said:

I have been looking into vac forming myself. However, I cannot afford one of those machines. Anyone know how to build one or where to get plans for a large one?

I've done some vac forming too. But not with professional gear. Homemade frames, a powerful vacuum cleaner and the oven in the kitchen..and then the fun and burnt fingers can commence :P

• Upvote 1

On ‎22‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 4:35 AM, LoveMonkey said:

That would be awesome, you could be our CRL model!

Exactly, we need good reference pictures for the CRL.

That would be tough for me to do. Either I would have to find some armor cheap to quickly build a sandtrooper or convert my existing heavy weapons trooper armor into sandtrooper. Problem is I would have to retire my Centurion level heavy weapons trooper armor. Anyone know where I can get a used or inexpensive armor set? Haha. How quickly would you need pictures?

On 7/24/2017 at 4:44 AM, CrookKnight said:

That would be tough for me to do. Either I would have to find some armor cheap to quickly build a sandtrooper or convert my existing heavy weapons trooper armor into sandtrooper. Problem is I would have to retire my Centurion level heavy weapons trooper armor. Anyone know where I can get a used or inexpensive armor set? Haha. How quickly would you need pictures?

From what I understand, once we have pictures the CRL can go live - so as soon as you can!

Just sell a couple packs and you can buy RS Props armor lol. 

But he'd need a ROTJ-armor for that SE-Sandtrooper ;) That would mean buying a complete new set from either CfO or TM (both do awesome RotJ-Armor!!).

I'd love to do that (the controversial nature of the SE-Trooper always attracted me!) but I really don't have the funds now :(

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, MrFlavaFlave said:

I cannot find any more info on the pauldron used by the SE troopers, help please.

Im not sure either, my guess is they were custom built. Material to me looks almost like neoprene. 

sandtrooper_hd_009.png

I also think a similar look could be achieved with EVA foam. Its definitely flat. Shouldn't be too hard to make. 

So I have done more research into the pauldron and two of them are from ANH and two are rubber. I noticed this after rewatching the scene like 50 times, the GG toys, the transition from the SE scene to the OT scene and how the pauldron matches the one sandtrooper kind of hopping in the back due to a pinch in the armor.  This photo also show the ribbed neck and it appears the pauldron is pulled forward.  The pauldron looks smaller probably due to the size of shoulder bells on the ROTJ and how they sit over the forearm. I will get more information once my ROTJ ships and I begin working on it. I also plan to continue the research until my costume is complete and ready for CRL submission.

ANH SE 2.jpg

• Like 1