Too much weathering?

Bonded Hawk

First I am not sure how to resize so sorry if they are a bit large. I'll start by saying I like alot of weathering. But after asking opinions on a 501st FB page I lightened it up a bit. I lightened up the chest arms and thighs a bit and the armor is more brown than in the photos. Also I'm using burnt umber Americana paint from Joann's fabrics. I also left the legs darker than the torso. Should I go lighter?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Although weathering is a personal thing, if I have to give an opinion about these pics, I'd probably say yes, go a bit subtle.

However, I'm not sure if I'm being fully objective, as the pics themselves are dark. Do you have some pics with a more neutral temperature and light?

No its the best light I have right now. I guess I should have saved this post for another day. I'll be out of town for a few days and won't be able to take outside shots til I get back home.

I totally agree with Luis. Weathering is all about how you want it and make it personal.

However, IMO its a little to heavy for me, but hey, if you like it, that's all that matters! ;)

As mentioned earlier by Luis and Smally, weathering is a personal thing.

If you feel happy with the result leave it the way it is.

Personally I am a "less is more" fan.

IT DOES LOOK A LITTLE HEAVIER THAN WHAT I'D APPLY, BUT AGAIN ITS A PERSONAL THING HERE BRO :) I KNOW OF SOME SANDIES WHO ARE VIRUALLY CLEAN WHITE ! ,ITS YOUR PERSONAL Expression AND INDIVIDUALITY IN YOUR OWN WEATHERING BUDDY YOUVE DONE A GREAT JOB HERE :D

I think it looks pretty cool man...heavy but cool...weathering really comes down to what your looking to accomplish. If you want SWAT then you'd have to scale it back considerably. If your just looking to do a bad a$$ Sandtrooper them you are on the right track. Most of your events will be outside in the natural sunlight so that should be a determining factor on if you change or not.

• 2 years later...

Your legs are too consistant. They would be dirty more on the bottom than on the top. The shins more than the thighs. Areas that rub against each other would be cleaner.

As some already said: personal taste that counts if You want to have it individual and not specific pattern/colorstyle (SWAT)

I like the patterns very much.

I only miss different colors. For me it looks too mono. But thats a kind of own taste.

If You want to lighten / soften it, I'd do with some more kaki looking stuff only partly (mostly on legs, on torso fewer).