sealing after weathering

darthmaul101079

Just bout ready to do some weathering. Going to use some acrylic paint. After its all said, done, and weathered, is it wise to maybe use a layer of clear coat spray-paint to seal everything up? Just don't want the weathering paint to run if exposed to moisture or a rain shower if I am trooping somewhere. Or will this method do more harm than good? Thanks!

I tried hairspray years back to seal some weathering. I found that after a while it would peel off in flakes and take the weathering with it. I now use lacquer.

i have always used enamel clear coat laquer on all the single pigment weathering i do but that is mainly because of the type and brand of Raw Umber pigment i personally preffer to use ,which applies awesome ,but can rub off easily hence me clear coating the armour after)....i have used another brand of crylic paint in the past which is a tougher ,more resiliant and waterproof finish when dry,but dilutes very poorly to the brand i use now ,but no sealant is required ! its really trial and error and personal prefference here buddy ...but as Smally said the hairspray didnt work too well for me either

• 1 month later...

I personally liked the way the Citadel Purity Coat (mat) finish looks. I figure it like this...after years of deployment in a place like Tatooine, nothing is going to stay "shiny"...I looked at cars in a junkyard as my inspiration spending long amounts of time in the sun and wind, with frequent dust storms (Arizona).

• 7 months later...

Just to add what everyone is saying....i like the natural look with no clearcoat. It naturally weathers when you troop in your armor. Some rain here and there, some dirt and extra weathering here and there makes it look great. Plus you can change it up later if you want to. Theres always this option too....leave it under a sap tree for about 6 months and BAAAM....instant pass :P:D .02