ranking order

The info on StarWars.com that pertains to Sandtroopers specifically states that the pauldrons are to designate rank. Overall I agree with everyone else, I think it was a melting pot of paudrons. The actors through them on and were filmed. The orange one was more visual and grabs the audience's attention hence the reason for the "leader" wearing it.

"Sandtroopers wear colored pauldrons as a designation of rank. A stormtrooper sergeant's pauldron is white while an enlisted stormtrooper's pauldron is all black. Squad leaders, who lead units of seven troopers, wear orange shoulder pauldrons."

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organi ... ers/?id=eu

It's the last paragraph in the link above.

If they are rank why does a squad of 6 have 2 leaders

Things are put in movies because of the way they look, and someone decided that 2 of each looked good, or they came that way.

When I was young, and saw the movie for the first time, I assumed the Orange was some kind of visual thing like a crossing guard or MP.

The info on StarWars.com that pertains to Sandtroopers specifically states that the pauldrons are to designate rank. Overall I agree with everyone else, I think it was a melting pot of paudrons. The actors through them on and were filmed. The orange one was more visual and grabs the audience's attention hence the reason for the "leader" wearing it.

"Sandtroopers wear colored pauldrons as a designation of rank. A stormtrooper sergeant's pauldron is white while an enlisted stormtrooper's pauldron is all black. Squad leaders, who lead units of seven troopers, wear orange shoulder pauldrons."

It's the last paragraph in the link above.

the same page has this listed.

Their armor consists of an 18-piece anti-blaster cocoon shell with ''heat-reflective coating worn over a temperature-control body glove''. I think the quarter master forgot to give me mine I sweat like a pig

It also says

The backplate contained an emergency 20 minutes of oxygen if the trooper should be exposed to vacuum or be trapped underwater. It also contained a power pack.

which is funny because in at least one shot we see the underside of Luke's chin while his helmet is on. Guess some suits are sealed more than others.

One thing I note about all these visual dictionary type sites / books is their need to hyperbolize everything.

It also says

The backplate contained an emergency 20 minutes of oxygen if the trooper should be exposed to vacuum or be trapped underwater. It also contained a power pack.

which is funny because in at least one shot we see the underside of Luke's chin while his helmet is on. Guess some suits are sealed more than others.

One thing I note about all these visual dictionary type sites / books is their need to hyperbolize everything.

Yup! And the "Force" can be check with a blood test.

• 3 weeks later...

We all want to be "movie accurate". That's why we have so many threads on what to do and how to do it, to make it just that- movie accurate. I too have an orange pauldron. I also have a black one. You see, I'm a big believer that if I go to a con or an event, and there is a sandy with an orange pauldron on, I go to the black. 1- Out of respect to the guy who showed up first, and 2- because I REALLY hate it when there are a lot of "chiefs" and not enough "scouts". Know whatta' mean? I'd like to see more of the different color ranking like what is on the first page of this thread.

While the ranks are just EU after the fact stuff, I do like to see an assortment at events. Its a bummer to see five guys with all the same color. However with only 3 (or 4 I guess) colors to choose from larger groups are going to have multiples.

Perhaps Seth can appoint a MEPD "Detachment Deployment CC" for the upcoming CIV event in California.

Once that was accomplished the MEPD D2C2 could appoint a couple of "junior officers" and "sergeants" while the remaining MEPD contingent could wear the enlisted sandtrooper "black" pauldron -

That is, if we follow the conventional 3-color interpretation.

Just a thought...

T

Sounds like a job for you Tony. Sadly I won't be there to participate, but "we" should do a group shot. For that everyone could be broken up into groups of a few colors to make it look like a few squads grouped together. I'd say the best bet is to figure out who is going and schedule the shot & plan assign people to a position in the line-up according to a color scheme. Then you could plan to wear a specific color for it and you'd have a pattern of people that would achieve even distribution of colors. All of which hinges on which colors everyone has.

Sounds like a job for you Tony. Sadly I won't be there to participate, but "we" should do a group shot. For that everyone could be broken up into groups of a few colors to make it look like a few squads grouped together. I'd say the best bet is to figure out who is going and schedule the shot & plan assign people to a position in the line-up according to a color scheme. Then you could plan to wear a specific color for it and you'd have a pattern of people that would achieve even distribution of colors. All of which hinges on which colors everyone has.

Doesn't necessarily have to be me...I've got three pauldrons (orange, white, black) so I can always "blend" in where needed.

You know me, if I wear the orange colored pauldron, I've got to carry my Lewis Gun; if I wear the white pauldron, then I've got to have my Blastech E-11; and, if I wear the black pauldron (my personal favorite) the weapon of choice is always my MG-34/DLT-19!

T

ePS: Oh, by the way, my MG-34/DLT-19 is looking pretty movie accurate these days...thanks to you bro!

I was checking out the pauldrons on the first page. Can anyone explain the "Private Veteran Trooper" one? I understand what it "means" but I'm wondering why they excluded Sergeant, Corporal, Officer, etc. Veteran pauldrons then...I guess someone with some EU knowledge would understand...any takers?

• 4 months later...

i think that the actors threw on the pauldrons, and it happened that there was alot of black pauldrons/non-pauldron troopers, some white pauldroned troopers, and one or 2 orange pauldron troopers so it was sort of an accidental evolution of the 'rank system'.

a similar phenominon happened in the 'Planet of the Apes' movies; in the film there was a caste system consisting of 3 evolved simian species - chimps, being the scientists and intellectuals, orangutans, taking up the role of diplomats and managers, and gorillas as the military/law enforcement backbone.

off-screen however, all the actors ended up self-segregating themselves during break times (such as lunch hour), according to costume, which was left on all day because it would take too long to take off/re-apply.

While it may be true that pauldrons aren't as time-intensive as monkey makeup, it would otherwise fit the same criteria, IMO.

Personally, i think both rank and division are plausible, although i prefer to go with rank.

• 9 months later...

I agree with you Daetrin. I see orange as imperial military police because no military would advertise their Officers in such a way!?

J

Or you can be a dissenter like me! I choose to believe that they are not rank pauldrons at all, but are branch/specialty related like berets in the Army are.

Vive le difference!

The different ranks have actually been stated "officially" on starwars.com:

"Sandtroopers wear colored pauldrons as a designation of rank. A stormtrooper sergeant's pauldron is white while an enlisted stormtrooper's pauldron is all black. Squad leaders, who lead units of seven troopers, wear orange shoulder pauldrons. "

However, this is only EU facts. But this is the system I tend to use, when thinking of ranks.

I'm not saying this list is "The Truth" concerning the ranks, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Since the movie was shot without thinking about what rank they had and so on (seems mort likely), we only have EU facts to go by.

IMO, it looks better at troops when we have 1 orange pauldron, 2 white (depending on how many attending) and the rest should be black. But again, my opinion...