ranking order

hey new cadet here of the oldline im still a squier till the 17th then my armor should be done but is the color of the pauldon mean i know orange means what about the others.

charles / TD-2272

And the Debate begins...............................NOW!!!

There are many schools of thoughts on this one: some believe there where actual ranks, and some just say "wear the color you like". I believe IMHO that you should wear the color you want to, regardless of what someone else says(like myself )

But here is one that I found:

Orange-Squad leader, captain etc.

White-Dewback patrol

Black-Enlisted

and then a few other colors that some say don't exist:

Grey and Red

I also like the idea of having a few different colors, just in case you are trooping with another "TD" and you guys don't want to have the same one. Stand out a little bit more.

My 2 Cents....

Or you can be a dissenter like me! I choose to believe that they are not rank pauldrons at all, but are branch/specialty related like berets in the Army are.

After CW & EPIII, now it seems more logical to say these are old ARC troopers, which can also explain why some didn't have pauldrons...

Vive le difference!

Or you can be a dissenter like me! I choose to believe that they are not rank pauldrons at all, but are branch/specialty related like berets in the Army are.

After CW & EPIII, now it seems more logical to say these are old ARC troopers, which can also explain why some didn't have pauldrons...

Vive le difference!

Same here.

here u can see all colors and palderons with the raenge

Cool pic, but it leaves off the Stormtrooper Commander (Cmdr Praji, seen on the Tantive talking about the DS Plans). He is wearing a single row of four blue followed by 2 red.

I also read somewhere that more likely, the pauldrons were just thrown on randomly during production with the ranking/no-ranking scenarios as after-the-fact speculation. Those are my .02 republic credits anyway...

Well y'all,

When I'm elected king of the MEPD next year, guaranteed that I'll be implementing a "strict" pauldron dress code around here!

Since I'll be the boss, I'll be the only one authorized to wear an orange pauldron. (Well, maybe the XO too but that's it )

The rest of troops will be white or black!!! Muahhahhahhahhahha!

• 8 months later...

As stated before, believe which source appeals to you. There are no grey pauldrons in the movies, nor were they indicative of rank at the time the movies were made either.

All this came much after, and even now I aggressively dispute the POV that they are rank related.

You have to go way back to the begining - ANH. They only had the three colors (orange, white, black), but never said rankings. Everyone is trying to make up the rules, past the fact. You can't figure in Clone Wars or Ep1, Ep2, or Ep3 stuff - that's AFTER ANH has been made.

We can deduct that the orange pauldron must be some sort of leader, since he's the one we see leading the group, and doing all the "boss" things. Other than that, it's all a guess.

In the end, though, wear whatever you like. People are making excuses for the dumbest of things. Until Lucas Films comes out with a definitive rank guideline, it's all speculations and guessing. There may have been a neon, blinky pauldron that we just didn't get to see in the movies. Better jump on that one. Quick! :lol

I think Lucas is a visual artist first and foremost. The orange pauldron sandy probably had more dialog simply for the visual impact he'd make in the shot and to contrast with the otherwise monotone desert and ME scenes. Before shooting, the pauldrons were in all likelihood distributed randomly; I just can't see Lucas, given the tight schedule and budget at the time, specifying rank colors for those takes. Like mentioned before, its all speculation and hindsight looking for a home.