Finishing strip size

bselphfsu282

What you might want to do is build up from the inside. Basically instead of the strips overlapping the plastic of the thighs extend the thighs and have the strips attach to the build up. Make sense?

What you might want to do is build up from the inside. Basically instead of the strips overlapping the plastic of the thighs extend the thighs and have the strips attach to the build up. Make sense?

Does that work if the armor has ridges for butt-join/strip method? I may not be understanding your response correctly, but I'm very interested in this since I just fought with this for hours last weekend.

I'm building ATA armor and it generally fits my upper body, but the thighs don't even come close. My front strip is 40mm and the back is around 65mm!

Posted Image

I was just contemplating ripping the whole thing apart and using a modeling iron to actually remove the ridges from the back. That would allow me to cut the front to a more reasonable 25mm size (not accurate, but much better). I'm not sure there will be enough plastic left in the back though...

Here's to hoping for an answer :thumbsup:

-Rob

My front strip is 40mm and the back is around 65mm!

Posted Image

-Rob

I would leave them as they are. That looks much better than butchering them up to get the strips to look thinner. The strips should cover the joints and if you have to use 40mm or 65mm or whatever you need, that is what you should use. Forget using anything thinner to be closer to the original sizes. It will make your armour look rediculous in my opinion.

Rob that's exactly what mine looks like! There was no way I could shim it all in the back being that big of a gap, so it is 40mm in the front and around 65mm in the back. As long as it gets approved, I'm good. Unfortunately I used CA glue, so ripping it apart would be a difficult thing to do.

Whoa! I'd try to avoid the wide strips - especially in the front (22mm is accurate - 16 for arms, no?) But, that's easy for me to say as I'm a small, so I had to trim lots of material off the backs of my thigh-armour (similar to what Pandatrooper did on his tutorial)

Unfortunately, I reached out to the two makers of AM armor that I'm aware of and both told me that they don't sell individual parts so swapping the "screen-accurate" thighs with a larger fan-sculpt seems out of the question (unless a large trooper with skinny thighs wants to trade :D). I have also reached out to RT-Mod, but haven't heard back yet.

I'll also take pictures of the backs tonight for reference. I'm really torn with whether I should try for approval as-is or do something drastic. Mine's put together with CA glue too!!!

-Rob

This is perfect timing. I was about to ask the same question. I was always led to believe that it was 25mm. My question was is it 25mm for every strip on the armor.

In imperial terms, accurate arms are 5/8" and calves/thighs are 7/8" (or 16mm and 22mm for the rest of the world).

-Rob

I dont think that the correct size appliesfor our larger troopers. It is more that the armor looks proper on your body frame. If you have larger thighs then the bigger strips will look better then tiny strips. You might have to thin them out a little but I would see what they look like when you have both front and back together, unless that picture earlier is a fully assembled thigh. Once you get it dirty it helps blend a lot together as well vs. a clean armor suit where that may show more too.

Wuiiiiiiiiiih...dude, that's too much :huh:

Accurate is 20-22mm on the leg parts and 15mm on the arm parts.

That is for slim guys who fit the standard armour. If you put your thigh halves together and you have big gaps between each half because your legs are too big for the armour, you cannot have accurate sized strips because the strips would not even touch the plastic to join the two halves. You have to bridge that gap with whatever size is needed. It would be nice to have a thinner strip in the front and a larger one on the back but that is not always the case, so you have to go with whatever is needed. My view is that wider strips look much better than having shims and a thin accurate strip which look bodged and crappy in my opinion.