PLEASE READ

DirtyBoy

Hey troops just want to give you guys a heads up on some information that has been passed my way. There appears to be some armor makers out there that have fallen victim to seizures during the shipping process.

The packages have been seized and destroyed. Some armor makers have already started to move out of the spotlight for fear of lawsuits and things of that nature.

I guess Disney is starting to crack down a little bit on "THEIR" licensed material. If you are an armor maker or specialize in specific builds, it may be time to exercise a little bit of caution going forward.

Stay Dirty My Friends!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rick,

I currently have one of the new AM kits sitting at the LA USPS (according to the tracking) wait to be shipped to Australia. Given that i have already waited 8 months (AM issue), & have paid in full, i hope it gets here.

Now i'm nervous!!!!!

Andrew.

Hi Rick,

I currently have one of the new AM kits sitting at the LA USPS (according to the tracking) wait to be shipped to Australia. Given that i have already waited 8 months (AM issue), & have paid in full, i hope it gets here.

Now i'm nervous!!!!!

Andrew.

Dont worry my friend...im sure your armor will arrive safely

That sucks.

Hiw can Disney do that?

Do they ask Postal services and curriers to open packages looking for their stuff?

Isn't that illegal?

I mean, it is not a weapon or even metal to look dangerous on any scanning equipment.

Hope this dies not become a problem or it might be the end of our hobby.

:(

Saludos.

Boss,

This is a big deal. What is our Legion Leadership saying? Is anyone talking to Disney to see what they say? Like Juan said, this would be illegal (in the USA), so there must be something else going on. Does the Legion have a contact with them? A lot of unanswered questions that just don't make sense.

I have heard word about that too from one of our fellow officers here( indeed from germany).

He ordered a helmet from SC, it was intercepted by customs and then the whole saddening story started about artistic rights and more crap.

All I could say and think was..Thanks Georgieboy for selling us out.. :verymad:

That sucks.

Hiw can Disney do that?

Do they ask Postal services and curriers to open packages looking for their stuff?

Isn't that illegal?

I mean, it is not a weapon or even metal to look dangerous on any scanning equipment.

Hope this dies not become a problem or it might be the end of our hobby.

:(

Saludos.

Hey Hermano,

Over here the customs is allowed to randomly check parcels, if they have any suspicion or just out of procedure.

And when they open it and see a starwars item, in this case a piece of armor, the ball starts rolling...due to the fact that disney bought the whole shabang....

I'm assuming that in some way this would be illegal given the fact that SDS won their lawsuit in the UK over copyright laws and under further assumption I would think that judgement would grandfather over to Disney's rights. Where it gets cloudy is international shipping... Say from U.S. to U.K....also, what does this do to those of us in the states? Is Disney going to crack our heads over their precious profit? If it comes to that I would never give them the satisfaction of purchasing their licensed products. We've already seen their rendition of the Stormtrooper... Not much of an improvement over Rubies from what I can see. I hope this works itself out.

This is definitely something that could prove to be a real change in the way we do things. LFL has always looked the other way based on the idea we (the legion) don't make profit and the items are used for charity.

What gets tricky is if companies like rubies who are officially licensed to sell armor push Disney to issue a cease and desist order based on their contracts. If that happens any "recognizable" items are open for seizure.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. It would be a major undertaking for this to go global and lets face it, we provide a free service. However, just use caution when shipping things....especially to Germany right now.

So how do the customs people know its say a tm suit and not a Rubies?

It cannot be an intelectual property thing, so much as a new law on what is allowed in certain countries.

I mean if customs official A opens a box and sees a bunch of white armor in it, he isnt going to know if its official or not, but if its on a proscribed list because, for instance the German government does not allow it (like certain accurate looking toy firearms say) then it is siezed. Perhaps they have passed a new customs law that does not allow body armor, even fake body armor from being sold or shipped in the country.

Disney could try to issue cease and desist orders to the makers once they track them down, but customs officials could care less about that. All they care about is if the item is on the naughty list of things that have been deemed evil.

It is why in the US it is not illegal to get a huge shipment of KO toys/handbags/sunglasses, but it IS illegal to sell them as the real deal. Customs does not have anything to do with the latter law.

We are not allowed to get certain realistic gun toys shipped here either. Not because they violate a copyrite, but because they are on the no no list.

My money is this is what it happening. Either that countries laws have changed to proscribe something about a TK suit, or the specific official thinks it violates some import law, not that Disney or LFL have been able to convince the various countries around the world to specifically look for their property and sieze it.

Italy is well known to have one of the biggest market of fakes in the world.

They (we) have a fake for everything, eg: Armani, Versace, Gucci, Prada and so on.

They import fakes not fully assembled from china and other countries and they finish the goods after the customs checks.

Why autorized companies wouldn't do the same.

If there's no brand on the goods it could be everything (in this case the customs didn't know if the goods were ordered by ILM ), so no seizable if not on the no no list (weapons etc).

Doesn't exist a law infringement in trade unbranded stuff even if "looks like" and the customs can't seizes a package and destroy it.

IMHO this sounds like a rumor to discourage the prop makers all around the world.

P.s.:

In the worst case scenario, I knew that in the copyright laws there's a rule that if you change three things, even little you're allowed to register or use the stuff you made as it was yours.

So they should demostrate in court that our armours are absolutely screen accurate (that would be a great satisftation)

Don't like to read that.

Switzerland just right next to Germany.

I wait for a TM that isnt yet ready to ship but should be soon. :pinch:

After the bad luck with tkboots I really wouldnt need that too.

But after the desertpack parts have arrived safely, I dont know

if I really should be worried. Still though it sounds a bit unconfortable

and I just recently got a proof the parcels are treatened generally like

crap that is be smashed into the car, and that mail gets stolen.

Not a good feeling.

hey,stay positive michael!! :yes:

im sure this is something very uncommon,and even might be some story thats rolled

down the hill like a snowball,if you know what i mean lol.

im sure your TM armour will arrive safe and sound bro! :thumbsup:

Hope for sure that You're right. It's not TM that I'm afraid of. It's the degeneration of people :yucky:

It seems to me it's illegal, they are not able to find the difference between fan manufacturers and license like as MR, Slideshow, eFX, Don post Rubies, SDS, etc.

They provide packages although the reason for the destruction of the recipient?