MY FINISHED WEATHERING JOB FOR ELEGANCE ,ON HIS DOOPEY DOOS DLT-19

I've gone over my blaster, tidying it up a little (getting rid of some of the casting bubbles, sanding scratches etc) resprayed it matt balck and have done the first pass of gun-metal and it's looking good, even if I say so myself.

I'm having trouble getting hold of the right colour for the stock though, but there's no hurry. If it's worth doing (and it is), it's worth doing well. I'll post up a separate thread tomorrow.

Yup, just seems like a lot of local model shops have closed down, and the ones that are still there don't have that colour.

On a separate note, I clear-coated the front half and killed it. Looked too glossy and increased the contrast on the dry brushing, made it look really fake and showed the brush marks I'd worked so hard to avoid. I've repainted the front half again, will leave it as it is this time.

Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

It turns out that the aerosol propellant in Humbrol acrylic varnish reacts with Humbrol enamel paint. My lovely bakelite stock will need to be rubbed back to nothing and I'll have to start from scratch. Grrrrrr.

when i clear coated brads and neils, with wilkos own brand enamel laquer , i sprayed it from a fair distance (about 12" ) - a fine mist of laquer giving a "gritty" finish to the parts,and i clear coated the stock at a closer range to give a shine to it...its trial and error buddy , i really hope you sort it in time simon :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent job Dave. I had the pleasure of seeing this weapon up close at the weekend when I went to visit Neil as he only lives a short drive from me. I'm pretty new to this and my first Sandie armour will be with me in around 4 weeks time. I have put myself on TD 8266 's list for his new batch of T-21's and think I may be messaging you regarding weathering it for me :-)

Take it easy and keep up the good work

Craig

thanx guys ! i just love doing this stuff ! :yes: ....just recieved a " very poorly" Doopeys E-11 in need of repair and weathering today ,the owner is a friend of mine ...i will deal with that with the same care as i do for all the others i have been privelidged to work on previously :yes: ,and it will be up and running, shooting Jawas with its owner again very soon :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...