(poll closed)We need a Social Thread/Forum!

theGreatSot

Do you want an Off Topic section?  

14 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

We should have a social thread... A place where we can discuss (civilly, of course) ANYTHING we want, especially OT stuff. We have threads for just about everything else, but we don't have a "Cantina" where we can all come and have a Juri Juice or some Corellian Ale when we're off duty. Just a suggestion but one that I thought worth implementing, as we are a brotherhood, but have no place on the board to relax. Let me know what you guys think: or .

What the boss thinks? Well, this is a democracy, but I'll throw in my opinion since it was requested. I personally dislike the **** out of designated OT forums, because it mostly becomes a haven for discussions about things like politics & religion & social issues (can you say flaming?), and a bunch of other crap that has nothing to do with the board. As far as an OT "cantina" I'll take it under advisement. I'm a bit reluctant to add it, as the expanded 501st section I added last month is not seeing much traffic. Post here if you'd use an OT forum, if enough people want it, we'll add it. Keep in mind; if it degenerates to the condition of some other message board OT forums, it'll disappear.

How about putting up a poll rather than just asking for yes votes? I guess I'm also in the "con" side - don't really read the cantina areas on my garrison of 501st site, probably wouldn't here either. But I know some dig it entirely. It would be great if people on both sides of the issue got a chance to "vote", so to speak.

I'm leery about it too, but then everyone on this board seems to be a higher caliber of folk than...on some other boards

I was just kind of thinking more along the lines of the OT thread that my FanForce has... a place where people can share funny links and just random stuff that doesn't have a place anywhere else. Kind of like the thread that I started a while ago about tattoos. Just my $0.02.

There are six days left on the poll, I can see thus far we're fairly split. If the OT forum is added, it will warrant either a set of guidelines for discussion (seems counter-intuitive to an OT forum though), or heavy-handed moderation (which I HATE). As far as people bs'ing about cars or tattoos, or your favorite beer, or remodeling your house, or seeking advice on a personal problem, great. That's perfect, we're all friends. Unfortunately, in with all of that, someone will mention "the war" or what politician they love or hate, or what religion is bad or good or weird, or whatever. Then it goes down the toilet. Likely, topics such as politics & religion will be unwelcome. They are two things most people feel strongly about. If you're unsure what happens when two people of opposing viewpoints get together, turn on any of the 24-hour news networks and watch (I like to do it with the sound off, and make up my own dialogue ). You get a few people who aren't interested in listening to each other who won't ever agree so they just argue, and argue, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea to a point, but the inevitable problems turn me off from it. The poll will determine the outcome, so vote your opinion!