Backpack logic : Ret-con?

MonCal

This is backpack related so maybe ... it's not off topic?? :)

So, has there ever been any "ret-con" (retroactive continuity) applied to backpacks? The expanded universe has been living off of this loophole in the original movies.

Just curious as this can be a fun topic.

I kinda hate looking at these packs with a "real world" sort of mentality thinking oh that's a tupperware container and that's out of a toilet.

I think it would be fun to play with possible theory, if the prop builders had such a thing in mind. So, wouldn't a soldier get a backpack full of the typical issued gear (such as a radio and water purification device) but also have the option of throwing on a few varying items that would differ from pack to pack?

So, perhaps the cystern is a dry climate water collector / purifier?

Maybe the tupperware "stow-n-go" container is atually a lunchbox?

Maybe the seed trays have soaps, a bed roll, etc. inside them.

Is the "mortar tube" actually a "mortar tube"?

What is the pitcher lid for then?

Hmmm..this is an interesting approach of the backpack and the parts.

I think that it is going to be an interesting thread..

I always had a bit of an idea that the mortar tube was a storage container for big shells or grenades..

The pitcher lid is a mystery then..

But these questions really make you see things in different perspective..good one Cal..

Haha LMFAO um....... I can't put my finger on it but this made me lol

Maybe I don't get it ?!

It sounds like you said we should make up names for backpack parts but were talkin expanded universe?! Lol sorry I'm in a funny mood but can you elaborate ? Lots of love intended :)

You snuck in on me dutchy :)

Isn't the mortar tube a giant detenator it has a det plate

So what is the pitcher lid for then :P

But seriously, that was my initial thought as well...but maybe it's a a tuning device for the radar dish..

Cool :) I should have searched for a thread... and I'm sure this sort of thing has been discussed many times.

I just meant the topic to be fun. ... that's all. We often get so involved with these things and these projects, and while it IS fun, it also is very serious ... so have fun with the idea. Come up with some "Star Wars universe" explanations for the pack components :D

Let the 12 year old in you come out and play ... that's the person who got you into all of this, most likely ;)

I imagine at least some part of the backpack works like the stillsuits from Dune, where it prevents you from losing too much body moisture to the hot environment. To me it looks like the cistern part could filter moisture out of the air and slowly fill up the blue cylindrical container. When it's full of water, you can detach it from the cistern and fasten it up near the top of the backpack, ready to be used as drinking water, and put an empty one back on the cistern, so you're always filtering some water out of the air.

I imagine at least some part of the backpack works like the stillsuits from Dune, where it prevents you from losing too much body moisture to the hot environment. To me it looks like the cistern part could filter moisture out of the air and slowly fill up the blue cylindrical container. When it's full of water, you can detach it from the cistern and fasten it up near the top of the backpack, ready to be used as drinking water, and put an empty one back on the cistern, so you're always filtering some water out of the air.

nice that's really cool I love it excellent idea ha :)

What mine does:

Sandtroopers ‘Move Along’ Field Pack Contents:

• Tool box - Contents include basic armor adhesion repair chemicals, gaff tape, extra small strips of ABS, paint, paint brush, kicker, extra rivets, small rivet pliers, clamps and tools.
  • Exhaust system to ventilate excess methane gas build build up from air tight and pressurized desert suit and armor. ***Beware if you are down wind.
  • Top Seed Tray - Water purification system and holding tank. Internal tube into helmet to ensure hydration.
  • Shot Gun Shells - E-11 extra battery packs for blaster.
  • Radio - Imperial issues communications radio. Inside also contains imperial iPod music transmutation and personal playlists (SWAT, The A Team, etc.)
  • Cistern - External water filtration system and drinking bottle. Purifies water from any resource and atmosphere.
  • Bottom Seed Tray - Extra clothing, expandable Imperial shelter unit, single trooper cooking unit, Imperial issues flame starter., armor bite repair and medication tool.
  • Large Side tube - Imperial dispatch plan holder (Top) and RF4 detonator holder.
  • Radar Dish - Reception amplifier for Radio and collecting Imperial communications from long range outposts.
  • Bee Box - Internal suit exhaust port. For when you are on post for hours and just have to go....

Awesome! I love the theories guys. Way to let your twelve year old self (with grown-up knowledge) delve into the Star Wars universe and create some retroactive continuity.

Who knows? Maybe the prop guys did actually do some of this when designing them. I have at least two helpers who do this when we're designing props. They can't just "slap" stuff together. It has to have a story behind it.

This...

And this get my vote lol

My thought on the mortor tube is thst its a detacable bunker buster like those things in the beginning of saving private ryan.

The tupper ware lid is actually a detachable limpey mine for taking down reinforced doors.

• 2 weeks later...