Support Your Wranglers

SAND DEVIL

So it is 1AM my time. I have a troop at 5:30AAM. I have been fixing my armor and equipment, to make sure it was ready. A little nervous about doing a good job and telling my family. Family long asleep. My son (16) is usually my wrangler, but has a guitar recital tomorrow, at the same time. My daughter (19) graciously said she would go, but never has before. I have been excited to have a daughter/father moment with her. So as I go to bed, I see a note on the coffee pot from my son. Now you have to understand, he ha never written a note like this before.

"Dad, good luck with the troop tomorrow. Don't be scared, the kids will love you. Just be yourself and stay in character. Make sure you spend quality time with my sister. No yelling at her about being on the cell phone with friends. Make sure to tell her to call you by your TD number or trooper. It's like ruining Santa Clause if she doesn't. This is your chance to have a moment with her. Love you."

Broke my heart. From the mouth of babes. It doesn't matter who supports you, they all love a trooper in uniform. And yes I wrote him a note back to wish him luck while his Mom took him to his recital. And plan to focus on making this an event of fun for my daughter, and her first wrangle. Proud of the little guy who gets me, and my daughter for getting up at 5:30AM, to support her nerd of a Dad.

Support your wranglers. They make us proud.

Very well said Ben and a lovely moment with your children. Over here (UK) we call them spotters, and they are very underappreciated alot of the time, but are essential to let us feel safe in costume. I've not had any bad moments really but I've seen some things happen on troops that I didnt like and the spotters surely help make everything safer for all.

Nick

Wranglers, spotters are even more important than the troopers sometimes..We always have a few off duty crewmembers of our Garrison that take care of things so everything stays cool and smooth..

Awesome!!

IT is sinergías to be producto of. But also, it is very clear to me that your son is very proud of you in and out of armor!!!

Spotters/wranglers are really important. But more important is to have a great relationship with family and specially your children!

Congrats on having it!

Saludos.

Truth worthy and great post indeed Ben! Agree with everyone our wranglers-spotters are truly an external part of our gear. In my case at times my little brother and beloved fiancé have watched my six. So bless them all for sharing the fun of our troop but best of all our common passion of being TD's :)

Thanks for all the replies. You guys all said it best too. @ Nick, you are right sir, they are missed sometimes. We always know when they are not around though.

Troop was the best one I have ever done! Daughter did great. She had a blast. Garrison and event were awesome and made her feel right at home. I think it was eye opening to see the Make A Wish kids and families for her. She gave away my MEPD Trading Cards to the kids as we went. She loved the interaction. I will post the pics in the 'Tours of Duty' section as soon as we get them from the Garrison Photographer. Son did good on his recital too. I foresee two wranglers in the future. I think they will both want to go. What a great day.

I think I am going to hit Jay up for a Spotter/Trooper decal (have to make one up). Or a name-badge and lanyard. Something so they know they are appreciated. I always log my troops to keep track of them, as I'm sure most of you do. My kids see them too. I think I will add a section for who my wrangler was and some cool notes. Any other ideas?

A little late to the party here. Love your post. Looks like you have amazing kids which speak volumes of you and your wife as parents. This hobby/job/duty of ours can take up a lot of time and energy so it's a blessing if you can share it with your nearest and dearest.

I had no doubt your daughter was gonna enjoy herself so great news to know it went well for you both !

I love the idea of acknowledging our wranglers/spotters in every way we can. When you post your pix and words at the Tour of Duty forum, do you think your daughter would consider writing about her experience too ? Would be a nice perspective :-)

Please extend my congratulations to your son. I've just started learning the guitar myself. I'm hooked !

All the best to your family

@ Nick, Love the "deputy" idea. Thanks for the input brother.

@Joe, thanks and great idea. I will talk to her. She had a funny take about the balance of SW nerds and how she didn't realize how much we effect the kids.

@Vince, Pics soon brother too many projects with figures and new dewback prod runs. promise.

@Jason, I got those shirts from Jay and my kids wear them. Daughter did to this event (pics son). I love them and so do they. The public knows they are part of the group. I only have one suggestion for Jay, they are an iron on logo. Daughter is a fashion freak and hates how stiff the patch is. I agree, screen print is more money, but nicer to wear. The edges start to peel eventually. NOT digging on Jay, love his stuff. Just one opinion and that they already wear them.