Adding RomFX - what the?

I tried getting my RomFX set up but it got a bit confusing in determining how best to set up the three long leads (tape to arm? how do you wear this thing?), and how best to mount all the wires & the board (just velcro away - put in a box?)

If anyone has any pictures of their rig, I'd really appreciate it if you can post them as I feel like I'm out in the weeds without the Ortho guy on this one.

Sorry no pictures yet,

My first setup had the Rom FX in my helmet and the speaker in a pouch on my belt.

With that setup I had the 4 wires (1 speaker + 3 button wires) under my neck seal

Ran the speaker wire behind my chest and belly armor down to the pouch with the speaker.

The 3 buttons under the neckseal and undersuit down my arms to my fingers. Used sports tape to tape them to my finger tips. I could then pull the trigger and get a blaster sound. Put the other 2 buttons on the other hand same way.

I am working on changing this as I did not like not being able to take my helmet off without disconnecting 4 wires.

Now,

I am using a headset, RomFX going in Ammo pouch on Sholder with 8 inline battery pack (radio shack) Speaker is also going to move to that ammo pouch with a custom made pouch for the front of the ammo pouch. Button wires will run from ammo pouch under armor and undersuit down arms. If wires are to short I am going to make extensions.

Button wires will run from ammo pouch under armor and undersuit down arms. If wires are to short I am going to make extensions.

That's been my biggest issue, is how best to attach/thread the wires down from my chest (or side pouch) down my arm to my hands with the minimum amount of fuss when putting the armor on/off. Or, what if you need to take a glove off (we had to de-glove to get back into an event one time).

Right now I can suit up really fast, and in looking for a solution am curious to see what other people find works, but that also requires the least amount of fuss/assistance to put on.

I have the RomFX, 9v battery and the speaker in a small Mat-49 loader pouch on my belt. The 3 sound leads and mic lead go out the back out the pouch (hole I made) under my upper underarmor with the button ends on the sound wires taped to my fingers but not the pointing finger since then you set them off accidentally all the time. The tape keeps the leads in place and lets me remove my gloves and also prevents the lead ends from biting into my fingers on long troops.

Friction.

I tape the leads on my hand, put on the underarmor and then connect the ends to the RomFX unit. The leads are then running up my arm and down out the bottom of the UA top. The fiddly bit is putting on the belt and keeping the leads from coming out below the belt making them too short (for me.) The headset lead is the same but it emerges from the neck instead of my hand.

I replaced the RomFX mic with a setup combining an tiny AudioTechnica uni-directional mic mounted in a Radioshack behind the head headset.

Sweet! This is exactly what I was looking for I thought most people were putting it on top of the underarmor. OK, this is enough info for me to take it from here.

I did go to RadioShack and didn't find a behind the head microphone - do you recall the part number or have a pix? Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing...

• 2 weeks later...

Still on the waitlist for this but have been reading up on different ways of installing. I'm kinda partial to putting the speakers behind the aerators based on the spraypaint caps idea. Does anyone think dosage cups (like the ones for taking medicine) would work as well for housing the speakers or too small?

• 2 weeks later...

The behind the head head-set I found is at my local Walmart. I am nit sure if the plug end will be big enough, but maybe Radio Shack might carry an adaptor?

As for the small speakers for the areators, check local hobby shops in your area.