Flat Green Lenses... FINALLY!

TD1043

With the help of a local trooper from the Midwest Garrison, I now have flat green lenses in my helmet! I have to say that they are so much easier to see out of versus the bubble lenses, and they just look that much better. I had used a silicone material when I installed the original lenses, and these were a complete ***** to remove. The silicone seemed to have turned into an almost similar substance like cement, and while removing one of the lenses it shattered in my hands. I wasn't hurt or anything, but I couldn't believe how strong this stuff was. The other lens, however, came out with no problems whatsoever. Instead of using silicone I simply used white tape to put these in my helmet, because if something happens to them while I'm in the field or out of town I can quickly put in a second pair that I received from that guy. And what was really cool is that I didn't have to pay for them... the guy didn't want anything for them.

Here's some pictures of my new lenses, but you can't see the green from these photos. Trust me though, that these truly are dark green in color.

http://www.td1043.com/photos/2006_04_01/index.html

Yeah, these are flat and they are a dark green color... both which are requirements to be a sandtrooper and a member of the MEPD. Just have to work on my ab plate and I'm all ready to roll with the MEPD.

Looks great!

I had my bubble lenses in for 2 years and noticed after putting in the flat lenses that I didnt get headaches after taking off my bucket. Those bubble lenses are like wearing someone elses glasses!

Yeah, these are flat and they are a dark green color... both which are requirements to be a sandtrooper and a member of the MEPD. Just have to work on my ab plate and I'm all ready to roll with the MEPD.

yeah man i was agreeing with you. looks good!

• 1 month later...

Okay, I had some free time this morning before doing something with my family (for Mother's Day), and I thought about removing that tape I had used to hold these new lenses in and was going to seal them in using something else. So, I removed the tape, and was going to use this clear Liquid Nails that someone suggested in another forum. Well, that turned into a complete nightmare of a mess, as the stuff got all over the place (my hands, the lenses, inside my bucket, etc). I got really frustrated so I took the lenses out (which BTW didn't want to say attached to the plastic portion of the bucket) and I'm not waiting to see if I can come up with a better solution to this mess.

Any ideas on what I should be using to attach my lenses to the inside of my bucket? How did you guys keep them from detaching from the plastic? Someone had helped me with my bucket the first go around, so I'm not really sure of the best method to accomplish this.

Worst thing is that I have to be trooping next Saturday for a school of young kids, and they're kind of depending on me being there.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Chris,

This is what I did: 1. Cover the exposed portions of the interior of the helmet first to prevent spillage. 2. Then hot glue the area around the lens hole. (One lens at a time) 3. Place the lens material on the edges of the helmet lens opening. 4. Go back and fill in the gaps with more hot glue.

***For this little adventure, I used the smaller "foofoo" women's hobby glue gun. Good luck trooper!

• 1 month later...

I used the industrial strength velcro as "tape". use the soft side though:) Just hold the lens close to the eyes and tape the ends to the helmet with the "velcro tape". it will never come off again and its soft..no screws. If you ever want to change lenses again just rip em out. no problems.