Hasbro Targets Adults With New Star Wars Toys

pashnak

Posted Image

Hasbro Targets Adults With New Star Wars Toys

Marshall Honorof | 30 January 2013 6:04 pm

Posted Image

Remember: the Star Wars: The Black Series toys aren't dolls; they're collectibles.

One of the difficult steps on a nerd's road to adulthood is when his or her toys cease to be playthings and become display pieces instead. When the hours of lightsaber fights, space battles, and daring rescues give way to Obi-Wan and Luke standing regally side-by-side on display stands, it's easy to feel that some of the magic is gone. Still, growing up has its advantages: Having your own money means you can take part in the growing adult collector's market. Hasbro, producer of many, many, many Star Wars toys, is launching a 6" action figure line called The Black Series specifically for grown-up fans of the classic sci-fi franchise.

Anyone who has had children, been a child, or set foot in a toy store in the last twenty years or so is probably at least marginally familiar with the 3 ¾" Star Wars toy line. While the figure selection covers almost every character imaginable from the movies and TV shows (with a few from comics and books for good measure), they're made to withstand play rather than to look good on a shelf. Not so with Black: these 6" figures will feature detailed sculpts and articulation well in excess of their smaller brethren. Of course, for parents who want to share with their kids, the toys will be able to weather a little roughness. "We consider them the best figures that Hasbro's ever produced for Star Wars that meets (sic) the sensibilities of romancing the character as well as the playability and poseability that fans really appreciate," says Derryl DePriest, a vice president at Hasbro.

The first wave will debut in August for about $20 a pop, and include four iconic characters: Luke Skywalker in his X-Wing garb, astromech droid R2-D2, taciturn villain Darth Maul, and the easily misled Sandtrooper. Future waves will again focus primarily on characters from the original trilogy, but will sprinkle in some prequel personalities here and there for good measure.

"Our focus here is the adult collector," explains DePriest. "We know they have their own generation of youngsters they like to share the adventure with." Even if you don't have any Padawans of your own, the Black series seems like a good compromise between the cheap 3 ¾" toys and some of the most expensive Star Wars memorabilia out there.

Source: USA Today

Image: Hasbro

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121786-Hasbro-Targets-Adults-With-New-Star-Wars-Toys

I will buy at least a couple of Sandtroopers for sure!

Maybe 6 and customize them...

It is really awesome how they chose to go with a Sandtrooper over DarthVader, or a regular Stormtrooper for the first wave.

And... what if they used a picture from any member here for their new packaging, like when they used Mike H's pict.

That would be awesome.

:)

Saludos

Hasbro Producing 6" Star Wars Black Series Figure Line

Posted Image

Posted By Chris on January 29, 2013

It should come as no surprise after we hinted at this back in December and then posted about a possible 6" line yesterday, but USAToday.com reports that Hasbro will be producing a brand new 6" scale action figure line based on Original Trilogy characters with a few key Prequel characters as well.

Priced at $19.99, these 6" action figures will be more detailed and more articulated than the current 3 3/4" scale line.

The first of four waves is scheduled for an early to mid-August release and includes an Imperial Sandtrooper, Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot), R2-D2 and Darth Maul.

The current 3 3/4" Vintage Collection line will also continue under the new Black Series name.

I like ir. But...

IT has the ROTJ trim, poping shoulder bell as ROTJ, AM like chest plate, black lenses and a very EFXish helmet.

It's way better than previous TDs but.

I will buy it of anyway. Just think this is not the ultimate Sabdtrooper figure yet.

:(

Saludos.

Figured I would chime in on this since it is past the date for the event I was sworn to secrecy on.

Both myself and MEPD TD6513 (Dave Braun) were scheduled to make a very hush hush appearance at Hasbro Headquarters in Manhattan on Saturday, Feb 9th for the unveiling of the new Sandtrooper figures. Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided to dump over 20 inches of snow on our area and we couldn't get into the city. Needless to say, both Dave and myself were VERY disappointed. As we are only 2 of 3 active MEPD Officers in our Garrison right now (Lou P. being the other), it was nice to see that our Command Staff as well as Hasbro were on the ball to get 2 very accurate Sandies for there promotion.

We were sure to walk out of there with a few of these bad boys for our time, but alas, it was not meant to be.