Sandtroper vs Stormtrooper helmet insides.

iconoclasta_88

Hey all!

Hope you are fine.

I wanted to start this thread for some time now, but never had enough time.

So...

I have noticed, and I am sure that most of you have too, that Sadtrooper armor and helmet looks very different from Stromtrooper one. Not talking about the finish ang accesories, but about the armor and how it fits the actors. I think Sandtroopers actors might have been a bit shorter than Stormtrooper actors, and that is why it looks different, but also have another theory.

So we can see that TDs in ANH look a bit more, "wide", looks like if armor was assembled to fit larger people than TK. But if actors were shorter, armor would appear wider, cause parts would sit closer to each other due to lesser height of actors.

Yes, that sounds right... but...

Have you noticed how the helmets practically sit over the actors shoulders?

Check this two shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

We can clearly see that the TK is thinner and the TD looks wider, but also that the helmet sits lower on the TK.

So, appart from the height, which should not be more than an inch or maybe two, could it be that the Sandtrooper insides had no Foam???

I mean, we have seen this and accept it as the interior of screen used armor. But, can anyone confirm that TD buckets had it too?

Maybe yes, and this will end in one reply and we will only stick to the different build of actors theory... but could it be that Screen Used Sandtroopers helmets had no foam???

I can only say, interesting.

What do you guys think. And more important, what do you know.

Hope to have some experts in the matter thowing some light on this matter!

Saludos

Juan.

Hey do you think that the TK photo above is in the right propotion? It looks a little strange.

You can see that the helmets are eaven thinner, then the TD helmets, but this cant be right.

Posted ImagePosted Image

We all know that they used locals for the TD's so that should explain the "bigger fit". I myself also think that it depended on who assembled the armor and what they used as a guideline.

The best example for the different makes is in my opinion the helmet as Juan already mentioned. It also makes me wonder if they gave some helmets a higher brow trim on purpose.....

Ow, and all the TD's had big hair...so no foam was needed I guess :P

I think it just looks bigger because of the Paultron and the poches and the lower brow. the TK looks naked and thinner. :)

The Move along helmet looks thinner too because of the higher brow.

The TD helmet on your Pic looks a little like a TM helmet :) is this a original picture from the set in Tunesia?

I will jump in here and say every piece of Sandtrooper and Stormtrooper armour and helmets are EXACTLY the same and pulled from the same moulds (minus the obvious parts that differ from each costume).

The helmets can look wider or narrower depnding on how they are assembled. When assembled correctly with a medium height brow, they look quite wide. With a low brow, they look wider. This is because the face is pushed up inside the helmet and not lined up correctly. The high brow 'Move Along' is assembled the same as the low brow (believe it or not) and it had the face pushed forward and taped in position, making the the helmet look slimmer. Remember these helmets are made from thin Polypropylene and the shpaes can easily be manipulated with a bit of force from assembly. Here is the inside of the MA helmet with the original foam liner.

Posted Image

All the armour was assembled the same too. It can only be assembled one way with the original strapping system and not cut shorter or wider. These are standard costumes and not custom made for individual actors like how we assemble them. They look bigger on shorter people and smaller on taller people - simple as that really.

I am open to hear anything to the contrary.