Weathering Help and Advice Needed Please

Dazauto

Hi guys as the title says im looking for some help and guidence on weathering my armour, over the holidays I had a go at doing it and found I didnt like the look so washed off all the weathering, im now on my 2nd attempt and again im not sure if ive got it right.

Ive looked at many different sets of armour on the forums and many different tutorials and decided to go with Bigdanes method of using just raw umber and followed it step by step and done the shins and handplates to start with, I dont want to do anymore until ive got some advice from you guys so below are some pics to see what you think .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you for looking and all comments are welcome .

Hi Darren,

You've made a good start, however it just looks as though you could do with more of a diluted base coat. With the way it is at the moment, it looks almost too blotchy (IMO). I would suggest a base coat applied and left to dry then an undiluted layer put on to into areas you think the dirt would gather. You can then remove the rest with a slightly damp cloth.

On my first TD build I went through about 4 different attempts before I was eventually happy.

Hope this helps a little. ;)

It looks good m8. Remember to visualyse were natual dirt would sit High and lows on your armor, the chins is my opinion a bit more dirty then the rest of the armor, another thing to consider is if you will try to go fore swat you need to copy the chosen screen trooper. Hope it helps, keep up the great work

Thanks for the comments guys and reassurence that im on the right path.

When I applied the base coat to the armour it looked a bit much so I removed alot of it perhaps thats why it looks blotchy so I will revisit this thin the paint down more and reapply.

Just one question before I do anymore once the basecoat is put on do I use a damp or dry cloth to dab over it with ?

Im not sure if my old FX armour would make Swat so im trying to do the best I can with it so I would be happy to get it cleared to troop with and make police officer level.

So I decided to do a bit more and seek a bit more advice and help from you guys.

Below is how the forearms look after a thin basecoat of raw umber has been applied and dabed with a dry cloth, does this look ok or does more need to be taken off before more is applied to darken up certain areas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Again all comments and help would be very welcome, thanks guys.

Yep that's great Daz. Now you can either go over that with a slightly damp cloth to try and wash the base coat down a bit or simply go over the top with your top layer (darker brown) and then allow that layer to stick to the dirt gathering areas.

Nick

Yep that's great Daz. Now you can either go over that with a slightly damp cloth to try and wash the base coat down a bit or simply go over the top with your top layer (darker brown) and then allow that layer to stick to the dirt gathering areas.

Nick

Thanks Nick its great to know im doing things right, will now be able to carry on with the rest of the armour :thumbsup:

Looks like you are definitely on the right track man. Weathering will take time but in the end after multiple layers you will see the look your going for

Thanks Rick, all these comments are helping me alot, I also sent you a pm for some pack parts.

The last set of pics look great. If you're unsure after the latest attempt. Take a break from it and quit looking at it. I will tell this to everyone trying to weather their armor. When you look at your weathering with fresh eyes, it seems to look beter or is easier to get a feel for what you may want to change.

The last set of pics look great. If you're unsure after the latest attempt. Take a break from it and quit looking at it. I will tell this to everyone trying to weather their armor. When you look at your weathering with fresh eyes, it seems to look beter or is easier to get a feel for what you may want to change.

Thank you Steve great advice, im pleased with how the forearms are looking and have now stopped due to the workshop (kitchen) being needed to cook dinner :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys thanks for all your comments so far, I decided I didnt like the shins so washed them off and redone them along with a few other parts at the moment all the parts have only had a diluted coat applied and dabbed off with a dry rag, do you think they look ok or is there too much left on before I apply more to hi-light dirtyer areas.

As always all comments welcome :yes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

@ Darren - Very impressed with the 'organic' feel of the weathering. A few more tweaks and you'll be on point with the overall look. Each of the suggestions given here are EXACTLY what you need to move forward. Great bunch of people here in the 'Precinct'! :yes:

VERY nice progress on your armor and we're looking forward to your Deployment Application, Troop! :td::thumbsup:

Looking very good bro!

Good job so far.

The organic feel is really good and I think you are up for a great look!

Now, you are probably facing the question: is it done yet????

The answer is, Weathering is personal. It definitely looks like it would be enough for police officer no prob.

If I were you, I would do something crazy... Ready???

Rub it all down once more... Use a dry paper towel and rub it all off as much as possible.

The texture and amount of paint I see, would do an awesome base layer. Very organic, very cool texture, very cool distribution.

If you wipe it off with a dry cloth, it would be like cleaning up your armor after a mission... leaving a natural residue all over it. Then start over again with another layer. Not over all the armor, but over certain areas. Then rub off that too, and the again and again... every layer must be painted in less and different spots than the previous ones. You could go to infinitum like that, until you like it.

I went for 3 layer:

1. painted all brown, then rubb

2. painted an organic pattern like you are now, and rubb off

3. detail in several different spots the texture I wanted to mimic from the Move Along distinctive patterns.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But then, as you are, it looks good already. Just putting this to hopefully help and inspire you!

;)

BTW, I used one single pigment too. But never watered it down. Used it directly from the tube to the armor.

Saludos.

Thank you for your great comments Michael and Juan you have filled me with great confidence and inspiration to carry on the way im going as after looking at numerous other sandy pictures I thought I may have made the armour too dirty.

@Juan its great to see some pics of your armour up close and thanks for the advice on how you did it I will take it onboard.

Thank you again guys the MEPD rocks :yes: