Dazauto's Pack WIP

Dazauto

Thanks Nick, a few years ago I couldnt imagine I would be building something like this from scratch as up until then I had only made a few model car kits :ohmy:

Since then I have built a TK and gained EIB & Centurion status, a Doopy Doo's E11 and one of my favorites a Jawa costume for my youngest son (sadly now sold on as football and computor games took over but it did buy me a DLT-19 :) )

Heres a couple of pics of him in it, shame he no longer wanted to wear it as he would have looked great with me in my TD:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking foward to getting my TD finished and upto spec and joining you guys in the sandpit :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude awesome job on everything., the radio is outstanding and modded ribs on the tray!!! OMG so good!!! Overall spectacular skills bro lot of patients and talent clearly

Two thumbs up :)

Wat colour blue on pack did you use cause that's looks perfect?

Thank you for the great commets Vince, this is the sort of encouragement that spurs me on to go the extra mile and do the best I can :yes:

In answer to your question, im using Humbrol 47 Sea Blue hope this helps bro :thumbsup:

Couple more bits primed up today (think thats all the priming done now) will not get chance to do much more this week due to some long days at work but it will give the primer a good time to dry and harden before any top coat is applied.

So the bottom trays and frame is now primed up :yes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have also done the mortar tube but forgot to post up :

Posted Image

Still got the brackets to do on the exhaust port/vent so will update when done :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great comment Joe, not thought about being put foward as an armourer as havnt been around the boards that long or even cleared as a sandy yet, gotta make the grade first :)

A little bit more done today guys :yes:

Brackets for the exhaust port/vent made out of scrap ABS glued and painted up :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top seed trays painted and drying :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bottom seed trays and stinger unit have all had 1 coat of Humbrol 47, will put another 1-2 coats on these depending on how the next coat covers:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still got the black to do on the stinger and the frame but hopefully I will be able to start getting this pack put together later next week :thumbsup:

I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel on my pack build.

Got a 2nd coat of Humbrol 47 on the trays and stinger and it has covered well so will leave them at that, will hopefully get a coat of black on the stinger tomorrow night:

Posted Image

Frame has now been sprayed up black and drying as I type this:

Posted Image

So apart from the black to do on the stinger everything has been painted, will give it all a few days to dry and harden off then maybe I can get this all put together :thumbsup:

Well I think thats about it for the painting of the pack parts (will check tomorrow on how the black has covered on the stinger)

The final bit to paint was on the black on the stinger and now its done :yes:

Posted Image

I am now hoping the next update for you guys will be the pack all put together :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great comment Marcus, im so looking foward to getting this pack finished along with my armour and joining you guys in the sandpit.

So here is a little teaser showing all the pack parts together awaiting assembley, im hoping to get it all put together over the weekend and will update with pics once done :yes:

Posted Image

Sorry for the poor lighting, as I took this pic tonight under some rubbish bulbs.

Ive also just noticed the bottom cap on the mortar tube is missing ive not glued these on yet as I need to pull some bolts through the tube to fix to the frame :thumbsup:

Again thanks all for the great comments, the pack has been started to be put together will update with pics tomorrow :thumbsup:

A quick question before I do too much, do I need to add the gaffer and electrical tape along the bottom seed tray as ive noticed some do and some dont ?

I dont want to add it if its wrong as the paint will come off if I had to remove it :whistling:

Thanks Vince, we have a tape in the UK thats known as gaffer tape and gets used for all sorts of repairs, ive taken alook at some deployment requests and seen that the tape has been used on the lower blue trays so I will go with that and use it on mine :thumbsup:

Sorry I wasn't very clear lol :)

Yeah I kno wat it is

But I don't kno of it used on packs ,

I could be wrong but looks like electric tape to me gaff tape doesn't stretch like the move along pack has in road block were the two bottom trays have slipped apart

But again I could be wrong ;)

Right then guys as promised and after a long days work here is the update you have all been waiting for, bar some touching up here and there and of course the weathering.

I have built this pack in a way that if need be parts can be taken off and replaced easily by using nuts and bolts and screws.

Bottom trays riveted to frame :

Posted Image

Syphon :

Posted Image

Mortar tube :

Posted Image

Stinger brackets :

Posted Image

Example of the use of nuts and bolts for the parts on top side of trays, brackets are for the seamless method of closing trays together :

Posted Image

Strapping for pack is from 2 old laptop bags that had some good quick release clips and I made up some D rings, I used rivets and washers for the top connection and covered over with gaffer tape to tidy up the look :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not the best photo but here are the cable ties being used to connect the trays as per the seamless method :

Posted Image

Tape put on the bottom trays :

Posted Image

Now the best bit, the pack all put together I hope you all think ive done a good job as this is the first time ive ever attempted anything like this :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And last but not least I had to try it on and I managed to clear up the workshop/kitchen before the misses got home to take this pic :whistling:

Posted Image

I would like to say thanks to Rick (Dirtyboy) for the parts I needed to complete this build and to each and everyone of you who's build threads ive spent hours looking through to get ideas and inspiration from, not to mention all your great comments throughout this build.

Thank you guys I hope ive done you all proud.

I would welcome all your comments good or bad guys :thumbsup:

Now the next job is get back on the armour and finish it so I can join you all in the sandpit :td: