Dazauto's Pack WIP

Dazauto

Hi guys, ive only been around for a little while but I have been very impressed with all the help and advice along with great encouragement you have all given to other upcoming TD's so I thought it was about time for me to put up some pics to show you all where im at with my build so you are able to comment or advise good or bad.

I am going to build pack #3 as I already have the orange pauldron.

I work in maintenace at a hotel/training centre with one building that is very old so this is a part I had to change and started me on the road to becoming a TD :

Posted Image

And this is how it looks now :

Posted Image

Tool box and radio box has been made from scrap plastic I had laying around in my workshop at work :

Posted Image

Tool box now nearly finished just needs the tape putting on :

Posted Image

Exhaust port again made out of scrap plastic and pipe :

Posted Image

And how it looks now, still a bit more to do :

Posted Image

Shotgun shells made out of overflow pipe :

Posted Image

Mushroom caps/bowls I got from a UKG member :

Posted Image

Frame is made from some old overflow pipe that I replaced at work and is a test fit at moment until I get the seed trays, I have the cross bars to fit as well :

Posted Image

I have the parts to make the motar tube along with a tupperware lid to do the radar dish but as yet not made it up thats on my to do list, not sure which set to use yet one is my old FX the other is from another set of TK ive got but didnt need as I already had a thermal detonator.

Any comments on which one would be better to use would be great :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now onto the part ive most enjoyed building to date the Sonix radio, ive used anything from scrap plastic, bottle tops to shower parts anything I thought would look good :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is how it looks at the moment, ive still got the leather surround to do along with the headphone sockets and maybe an aerial and then an mp3 and speaker set up:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I think thats about it for now, I have got the wipe bottles painted 1st coat and drying as I write this, I have contacted Rick (Dirtyboy) for some seed trays and the bee stinger unit (faucet cover) and hopefully after christmas will have enough cash left to be able to order these and complete my pack.

I will update this thread with anymore progress made.

And any comments are welcome on my build so far :yes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey darren,

firstly well done for having a go at scratch building a pack,not easy to do so i take my lid

off to you!

its coming along nicely,my first pack was made mainly of found parts which made it special!

secondly i think out of the 2 TD plates id go for the second one! :thumbsup:

Great work mate.

On the frame did you heat up the overflow to get the bend? I work in a plumbers merchant so can get 30deg'ish bends ect if you

need any? Im also looking into getting these older style syphons.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the great comments guys I really appreciate it, its good to know im getting things right.

Marcus, I think the 2nd set of TD parts is the better ones to use too as the top set are off my FX and look oversized.

Simon, the syphon was a great find at work and I knew once I removed it what I was going to use it for, working in such an old building is a bonus sometimes and im hoping there my be more of these around.

Neil, thanks for the offer of the bends although I did manage to heat the pipe and put the bend in following a tuturiol on here so I will see how it works out when I put it all together.

Brad once ive finished doing my pack, I may to be able to make you up some parts depending on which ones as what ive used so far are found parts laying around in my workshop and I may not be able to duplicate what ive used.

Joe, I knew all those years watching Blue Peter as a kid would'nt be wasted :thumbsup:

Hopefully after christmas I can re-open my workshop and get somemore done (my misses demanded her kitchen back so I had to clear my stuff away :whistling: )

So thanks again guys, I will keep you all updated.

Hi guys a bit more done today on the pack parts in between doing the mods on my old FX armour.

Bottles have now been given a 2nd coat of Humbrol 47 (will give them one more when dry)

Posted Image

Electrical tape put on the tool box :

Posted Image

Have started on the Mortar tube below is a quick mock up to get an idea how it will look, the tube is now been undercoated and drying as I type this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ive got some faux leather to do the radio surround so the sewing machine will be out tomorrow and am waiting on some jack sockets.

Thats it for now, saving the pennies for the seed trays and bee stinger once ive got those I will be able to get it all put together :yes:

Thanks for the comments Nick, im really enjoying finding the parts and building this pack :yes:

Time for another update and some parts now finished bar a bit of weathering which I will do when pack is complete so here goes guys again all comments welcome :

Syphon and bottles

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Radio is now 99% done just need the two headphone jacks but thats a 5 min job when I get them, faux leather surround has been added my mums old sewing machine wasnt upto the job of putting in the stiching and my hand stiching skills are no existent so I left this out.

Handles are also now fitted :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And last but not least I covered the speaker holes with some old tight material I found in a drawer that most of us guys never venture into :whistling:

Then thanks to my partner and her love of Pringles (salt and vinegar) I got myself an amplified speaker:

Posted Image

Thanks for looking and your great comments so far guys, now back to the workshop (kitchen) to make more mess :thumbsup:

Daz

Great job on the pack so far mate, loving it :thumbsup:

You may want to revist those strap brackets/holders on the radio mate, they're far too chunky

Posted Image

Here's the real thing mate for reference B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Loving the syphon mate, I did a similar thing years ago where every time I went into one of older offices (the bank had about 20 odd at the time) I'd lift the lid on the cistern and see if it was like the originals :D

Finally found one and tapped up the security guard and went back one weekend and changed it out for a new one,....sad I know :)

Keep up the great work matey

Thanks for the advice and pics Billy, I can see what you mean by the strap brackets if I can get them off I will modify them but I did put alot of glue on them and fear I may do more damage then good.

Im always on the lookout for stuff at work and I never throw anything away just in case it has a use thats what happens when you get on the forums and realise everything can be used for something :thumbsup:

One of the buildings I work in is very old and although previous maintainance guys have replaced things I still get bits and bobs coming up so im always on a prop hunt :yes:

• 1 month later...

Update time, and my parts have come today that will enable me to carry on and finish my pack.

Many thanks to Rick (Dirtyboy) for a fast dispatch on these parts.

Seed trays, I will be doing some mods to these to get the 3 and 5 ribs looking more screen accurate so will keep you all upto date as I go along:

Posted Image

The bee stinger unit :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Im now looking foward to getting stuck into these parts and getting my pack finished :yes:

Been busy today doing the mods on the seed trays and getting the frame together so here is how ive got on.

First up the trays :

Cut out the ribs on the Perma Nest trays (just the top trays are being modded as your not really gonna see the bottom ones)

Posted Image

I got a length of pine strip from B&Q (a diy store we have in the UK) at a cost of £1.85

Posted Image

Cut 8 pieces to this length and rounded off the edges.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is how the trays look before painting, giving the more screen accurate 3 and 5 rib look

Posted Image

The pack frame has now been put together, glued, riveted and aluminium cross bars fitted ready to be prepaired and painted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will add more updates as I paint up more of the parts and start to assemble :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great comments guys, im really enjoying doing this build and looking foward to hopefully getting cleared and deployed and joining you all in the Britannia Patrol :yes:

Got a bit futher ahead today thanks to having the afternoon off work so managed to prime up some parts before running out of paint :whistling:

Still got the bottom trays and frame to prime, hopefully get some more paint tomorrow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image