Custom Action Figure Fun

SAND DEVIL

OK Brad, I hear you. I am finishing up the 10 I already committed to make for the 66ers and some private ones, then I will do a run interest. I need to create a better order form to make them user friendly to order. More information soon brother. :woot::popcorn:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Brad, I hear you. I am finishing up the 10 I already committed to make for the 66ers and some private ones, then I will do a run interest. I need to create a better order form to make them user friendly to order. More information soon brother. :woot::popcorn:

YEAH BABY!!! Good on you Ben! Well chuffed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Sand Devil -- your son's Fett card looks awesome! Especially the custom ones you mocked up for the other outfits. Great work. I made some myself (no photos of them) but the only thing stopping from finishing them is cleaning the bubble up from another card before re-gluing. I took a Sandtrooper figure....cut off drop boxes, painted pauldron and "dirtied" the figure using the actual paint I used on my armor. Only problem is when I carefully cut the plastic bubble from the existing figure...the paint from the image on the existing card back is on the underside where it was glued. I tried soaking in nail polish, water, etc. Tried scraping it off with Xacto knife and that doesn't really work either. Any suggestions? Or do you know where I can buy un-used action figure bubbles?

Jason,

You got it right brother. To do these cards, scrape, scrape & more scrape. Takes me an hour per figure just to do the bubble. I tell the wife I am working, while I watch Star Wars and scrape. I tried asking someone who does the figures too, about the custom bubbles, but never got a response. Sorry. I have soaked them in everything I could think of. Melted one in a chemical too. Soaked it overnight, woke up to a plastic blob in the pan. Had to buy a new one for the wife, she was not too happy with that experiment.

I am still looking, but for now, scrape, scrape, scrape. I really like the 30th bubble look. Thanks for your kind comments on my son's figure. It is a conversation starter for sure. His friends all think he knows someone at Hasbro...nope, just nerd dad. I just did a Vader for a guy overseas, and I think it turned out better than any so far. I now have clean templates for the cards. Makes it easier to mass produce. About to start a run (non official legion merchandise). Legion command just cleared me. Good luck with yours. They are cool.

Yeah, I'm able to get the paint off with a razor but it just takes so long. I have already made my own card backs and I plan on doing a few more for some friends. Here is my bubble. I got it off cleanly but the paint needs to be scraped off still. Are these what yours look like?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rob,

I just got Legion approval to make these and use the logos. I am planning on doing a run for anyone interested. I have not done any copyright, since let's be honest, we are all using Lucas stuff. I would prefer you make your own design, but leave that decision in your hands. I appreciate that you asked. We spent hours doing the designs and getting Legion approval. However, that said, if you can do it brother...go for it, just don't sell my own design under me. That would be bad form.

So team, let the fun begin. PM me if interested in getting a custom figure and I will send you the order form information. There are several variations and selections to choose. I will post on the 'For Sale' thread this week with details. In the meantime, you can send a PM.

PM sent! ;)

About the paint on the plastic bubble, have you tried peeling off the bubble from the card using benzine? Commercially available brands if benzine are used in arts for dissolving glue. I have used it several times to remove plastic bubbles from the card and it takes a bit of practice but you can take it off with out damaging the bible nor the card.

In Mexico the available brand is called Glyco.

Maybe check an art supplier. Not hobby but art. Like graphic design, oil paint, watercolors, etc!

Hope it helps.

Saludos.

Juan,

Thanks for the advise. I have not tried that yet, but will give it a go. Scrapping them is taking forever.

Just finished two more. JAVL1N (Matt). One MEPD and one Patrol 66. Turned out better than my own. Made a special 66er coin for that figure and new and improved MEPD coin for the other. Each card is numbered. On their way brother...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jason, I am selling them if you want a figure. Still trying to get a website with ordering done, but you can send a PM sir. It takes a lot of time and detail to get them just right and all the paint off. Chemicals just will not work. Sorry brother.