Disney will buy Lucasfilm Ltd a will release EpVII in 2015

iconoclasta_88

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disney Buying Lucasfilm for $4 Billion

By MICHAEL CIEPLY

George Lucas in 2005, flanked by stormtroopers from his Richard Lewis/European Pressphoto Agency George Lucas in 2005, flanked by stormtroopers from his “Star Wars” films.

4:41 p.m. | Updated LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Company, in a move that gives it a commanding position in the realm of fantasy movies, said Tuesday it had agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. from its founder, George Lucas, for $4.05 billion in stock and cash.

The sale provides a corporate home for a private company that grew from Mr. Lucas’s hugely successful “Star Wars” series, and became an enduring force in creating effects-driven science fiction entertainment for large and small screens. Mr. Lucas, who is 68 years old, had already announced he would step down from day-to-day operation of the company.

Disney said in a statement that it would revive the “Star Wars” franchise with new feature films, and that Mr. Lucas would serve as creative consultant on them. Star Wars Episode 7 is scheduled to be released in 2015, with more films expected to follow, the company said.

Combined with the purchase of Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion in 2009 and of Pixar Animation Studios for $7.4 billion in 2006, the acquisition guarantees the legacy of Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, as a builder who aggressively expanded the company since taking charge in 2005.

Mr. Iger is set to step down as chief executive in March of 2015, but will remain with Disney in a lesser role under an employment deal he reached with Disney last year.

“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” Mr. Iger said in a statement.

Like the Marvel acquisition, the Lucasfilm deal appears to have caught Hollywood and Wall Street by surprise. It was announced on Tuesday afternoon, while the New York Stock Exchange was closed by storm damage, though investors were scheduled for a briefing on the acquisition in a conference call set for late Tuesday afternoon.

The companies said Disney would pay approximately half of the purchase price in cash, and would issue about 40 million shares to cover the balance when the deal closes.

With the acquisition, Disney will acquire Lucasfilm’s live action production business, along with its Industrial Light & Magic effects business, its Skywalker Sound audio operation and its consumer products unit, among other things.

In a statement, Disney said it was particularly pleased to acquire the filmmaking technology that comes with Mr. Lucas’s company, and expects “sustained growth” from “Star Wars” and other Lucas properties as they are joined with Disney’s parks and existing entertainment and licensing businesses.

“It’s now time for me to pass ‘Star Wars’ to on to a new generation of filmmakers,” Mr. Lucas said in a statement.

Kathleen Kennedy, a long-time associate of Steven Spielberg who recently agreed to become co-chairman of LucasFilm, will now be its president, reporting to Alan F. Horn, the chairman of Disney’s movie studio.

LucasFilm is based in San Francisco, and now, in combination with Pixar — which operates from across the San Francisco Bay in Emeryville — it gives Disney, which is based in Burbank, a major presence in Northern California.

Among its operations, LucasFilm owns LucasFilm Singapore, a digital animation company, and Lucas Online, which creates Web content.

Along with “Star Wars” and its many iterations on movie screens, in television programming, in video games and elsewhere, Mr. Lucas has been a partner in the “Indiana Jones” series, and, occasionally, in an unrelated film, like “Willow.” After the release of the first “Star Wars” film in 1977, Mr. Lucas’ Industrial Light & Magic took the lead in developing effects technologies that were used in a generation of science fiction and fantasy films. Eventually, other companies, including Weta Digital, a New Zealand company co-owned by Peter Jackson, challenged its primacy, but never really supplanted it.

Wuhaa crazy news.

I only have the old saga here, and i only like to watch the old saga, and only like the suits from the old saga etc.

Don´t like the SE version of the old saga either.

The new movies are not just star wars to me, but a beautiful adventure movie for the new generation kid´s, but not made for us old times/old fans i guess.

A # 7... Hhhmm i guess its ok by me, as the 3 new ones have all ready destroy the dream of getting more star wars, so having one more, i guess it will not hurt, as the damage have all ready been made in my book, and i guess i can´t be more bad them episode 1 whit that jar jar clown all over the screen.

Episode 7 - Return of the Binks

Kill me now.

HHahhaha if that would be the fact, then i guess we have to destroy project # 7.

Its crazy to think about its the same person there made the master piece ANH, there also made episode 1 :wacko:

Dark Horse React to Disney’s Acquisition of Lucasfilm

10/30/2012 By Steve Morris 1 Comment

Tweet

PinExt Dark Horse React to Disneys Acquisition of Lucasfilm

Newsarama have published a statement from Dark Horse President Mike Richardson regarding Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm. This move obviously raises questions about Dark Horse, who currently own the rights to the Star Wars franchise. It’s nothing definitive, by any terms, but it does suggest that something may have to change as a result of Disney’s move.

Dark Horse and LucasFilm have a strong partnership which spans over 20 years, and has produced multiple characters and story lines which are now part of the Star Wars lore. Star Wars will be with us for the near future. Obviously, this deal changes the landscape, so we’ll all have to see what it means for the future.

Remember the situation for Boom! once Disney bought out Marvel. We’ll be keeping an eye on this as it develops.

The Disney Statement

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchise.

Acquisition continues Disney's strategic focus on creating and monetizing the world's best branded content, innovative technology and global growth to drive long-term shareholder value.

Lucasfilm to join company's global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

I can't believe it!!! Episode 7!!! I'm really looking forward to see the developments on this. Although I love the original series I'm glad the story might have a chance of being told. Love it or hate it we might as well embrace it....disneys not going anywhwre

Lucasfilm + Disney = More Star Wars and Great Times for Fans

Steve Sansweet | October 30, 2012

Today’s double-barreled announcement – that The Walt Disney Co. is buying Lucasfilm Ltd. and that more Star Wars movies are going to be made starting almost immediately – has me pinching myself – but this is no dream. For me, and for countless millions of fellow Star Wars fans worldwide, this thunderclap couldn’t possibly be any better. Let me explain.

Many friends and I have wondered for years: What’s the future of Star Wars? More to the point, is there a future for Star Wars? We remember the dark years after 1986 when some had declared Star Wars dead. But I remember interviewing Lucas Licensing president Howard Roffman while working on my first Star Wars book. “We’re just taking breather, Steve,” he told me. “When the public is ready for more Star Wars then Star Wars will be ready for them.”

It was 1991, and the first new Star Wars novel in eight years, Tim Zahn’s Heir to the Empire, unexpectedly shot to #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list. A few years later merchandise reappeared, then the hugely successful Special Editions, and finally the prequels. It was another great run; then in 2008 we had the start of the excellent Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series. But my friends and I were still concerned.

From my perspective, having worked as a reporter and editor at the Wall Street Journal for 26 years – some of that time covering Hollywood – I was familiar with the life cycles of great companies that couldn’t survive the loss of the creative genius who founded them. In fact, The Walt Disney Co. was nearly a prime example. With Walt’s death in 1966, the company seemed to lose its way. In 1984, it fought off a corporate raider who wanted to split up the company. Since then it has gone through two distinct periods of revitalization, first under Michael Eisner and, since 2005, under Bob Iger – earning Disney the mantle of one of America’s most beloved companies.

Posted Image

George Lucas has had a long relationship with Disney. When he was 11 years old he took his first ever plane trip to be in line the day Disneyland opened to the public. He has worked closely with Disney Imagineering and ILM to develop the Star Tours and Indiana Jones attractions at several Disney theme parks, and has long had ideas for other park adventures. Star Wars Weekends at Walt Disney World have been a huge success for more than a decade.

But after the prequels, George was very clear that his days of making Star Wars movies were over. Little did I know that, behind the scenes and very quietly, George had started to come up with some storylines for at least three new movies set in a period sometime after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. I think the fact that George found so much enjoyment coming up with new ideas for The Clone Wars series spurred him on. He just needed to find the right person – and the right set-up – to carry on the Star Wars legacy.

He found that person in Kathleen Kennedy – a longtime friend, superb producer, and prolific moviemaker – and brought her in as his successor.

When Kathleen held a series of company meeting last month, she made it clear she had accepted George’s offer so she could use Lucasfilm’s great assets to make movies, and was excited by the prospect of working with a new generation of writers and directors. And she dropped broad hints that she’d help bring Star Wars back to the big screen with George there to provide creative guidance. So part one of George’s conundrum was solved.

When George started talking about retirement several years ago, many of us were concerned. We felt strongly that it would take more Star Wars movies to ensure the survival of the brand; Expanded Universe fiction, merchandise, and even great TV series weren’t enough. In my mind, at least, the best possible endgame for Lucasfilm would be an acquisition by Disney. These are two companies that have family entertainment in their DNA; they complement each other in so many ways. In fact, when Star Wars premiered in 1977, more than a few reviewers said it was the kind of film that Disney should be making.

But Disney is a huge public corporation; wouldn’t Lucasfilm and Star Wars get swallowed up? The evidence is to the contrary. Look at the acquisition of Pixar, and more recently Marvel. While Disney has integrated some of their functions, both units have been given the kind of creative independence that has enabled them to flourish and continue the broad success that made them interesting to Disney in the first place. The Avengers, for example, was made after Disney acquired Marvel. It has become one of the most successful films of all time, and the franchise has never been stronger.

Posted Image

Even though I dreamed about such a merger of titans, I was still shocked to hear the news – pleasantly shocked to be sure. While things will develop over months and years, and thus many specific questions remain to be answered, there is so much that the companies bring to each other that the possibilities are endless. Besides Star Wars on the big screen, new television shows and a more active online presence are also great possibilities. Perhaps someday the fan dream of a full-blown Star Wars Land will become a reality. Or even smaller dreams, like Star Wars Weekends at all Disney parks, not just Walt Disney World.

Disney has shown through successful recent initiatives like its D23 fan club, magazine, and conventions that it values fans highly. I felt privileged that the main people behind D23 came to talk to me in advance to see how Lucasfilm handled the care and nurturing of fans.

So today I’m celebrating. And I feel very much like an 11-year-old George Lucas must have felt standing in line in 1955, waiting for the gates to open to see how another icon had turned fantasy into reality.

Steve Sansweet is Lucasfilm’s Fan Relations Adviser after serving as head of Fan Relations for 15 years. He is currently chief executive of Rancho Obi-Wan, a non-profit membership museum that houses the world’s largest private collection of Star Wars memorabilia: www.ranchoobiwan.org

Not really a great enthusiast about this news, :huh: except for Episode 7. :woot:

Was not happy also when Disney bought Marvel. :pinch:

For example, I've always wondered if Disney can handle the gore and blood in

characters such as Blade or Punisher? Just to give an example.

Their strategy is try to connect with young adults and of course this changes the whole ballgame.

After all I got recognize that Disney is Disney. B)

What I only wish for, is that no matter what Brand Characters and Story essence is respected as we know it.

Just my 5 cents of thought. :thumbsup: