Raw Umber or Burnt Umber?

Revolver Ocelot

Raw Umber or Burnt Umber?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Raw Umber or Burnt Umber?

When I used these pigments on my first TD build I noticed I was using the burnt umber more... it just seemed to suit better. On my next TD (3rd) build Im going to try using Mike's (trooperbay) method:

when i first did my armour for SWAT ,i spoke in depth with Anthony Forrest about the colour,technioques etc; that Mollo ,and the on-set props guys used in Tunisia in 76' ,and,he told me that the original suits were initially weathered in the props dept; , then shipped to Tunisia for filming.... he also said to me ,that on set, further weathering was applied - oil and brown boot polish were used (as well as dirt) on set and the large centre chest "smear" was done with dirt by Lucas to make him look "Grungier " , so,after many conversations with Anthony, i initially did raw umber for my SWAT deployment (that had a reddish hue to it) and after i gained SWAT deployment i studied screen caps and stills further and realised it was not "brown enough" so ,i stripped it all back and went with raw umber! Anthony said the raw was a lot nearer to the original look when i sent him pics ! :td: , i use raw umber every time now ! (even on the recent SWAT mission i was involved with for TD5423-Dave Marsden) so i would reccomend a few ,various stages of dilution of raw umber pigment to add the sublety and texture buddy! .....brush,and rag applied of course! as was done on set :thumbsup: hope this helps duder ! :td:

76' ALL THE WAY !

Man Rolf...you are a force to be rekoned with when it comes to Sandy armor. Incredible build. Ive seen it before, but cant help saying that every time i see it. Is that your RS gear? Very jealous! ...and the raw umber is definately where its at :)

Thanks Joe & Lou, it makes me happy to hear. Shoulder claps like this makes me wanna try to get it all even more accurate.

Yes its my RS above, i have one more as a RS stormtrooper i will try to assemble over the winter as well :thumbsup:

Thanks Joe & Lou, it makes me happy to hear. Shoulder claps like this makes me wanna try to get it all even more accurate.

Yes its my RS above, i have one more as a RS stormtrooper i will try to assemble over the winter as well :thumbsup:

Is that just raw umber or did you mix anything else into it? It does look really good.

Is that just raw umber or did you mix anything else into it? It does look really good.

Raw umber as base layer. And then agein only raw umber applayed to make markings to resemble the trooper you wana copy. thats the gangnamstyle

i always use fullers earth,does anyone know if they do a raw umber "type" colour?

they only 3 colours i own are beige,brown and charcoal!

i think i maybe need to look at mixing the brown and charcoal together,i dont use the beige as its way to light but might work when

mixed with others!!!

any opinions are welcome!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I just used Raw Umber, nothing more, it works perfect, a thin layer makes it light brown, a thicker layer darker, do a base layer, and then one more layer even darker, so in a way this Raw Umber might one be one tone in the bottle, but it can make endless shades and tones from light brown to real dark brown all over the suit.

thats exactly how i do it too Rolf - various shades of dilutions to build depth and texture :thumbsup::salute:

Thanks bro, i works perfect thats for sure.

Other suits i have done years back i used more different colors on it from sand, yellow sand, light brown, mud, dark brown and even black.

But i must say that only using the Raw Umber as the only one on a suit, gives the best result i have done :thumbsup: