Hey everyone,

I am new guy here. I have been a member of this forum for about 2 weeks but only posted just today lol.

So I am working on getting all my TD gear together. I bought a pauldron from a guy on ebay. I must say I wasnt really pleased with it. I thought it felt really cheap. My strap was attached by really weak leather. The strap broke when I put it on over my clothes.

I was wondering would you guys mind posting some pics of your pauldrons. I would like to compare mine to some of yours. I may send it back. I may fix it Im not sure yet.

Thanks,

Brian

TD - ????

this is one of my first pics, but i think it can help you

Posted Image

tell me what do you like to see and I take the pic for you if you want

I got the pauldron from a friend who makes them here in mexico, but you can find an excelent tutorial to make one by yourself thanks to TK4510

This looks like a good place to drop this with out spamming up the boards

I'm currently a TK wanting to go TD .. My garrison been hounding me about my TK armor not being up to code... ((missing a drop box and I don't care))

The armor already well beat up ... with black streaks all over the place

My BFG is being made as we speak the back pack looks like a good weekend project.

I need a knee plate , AB plate, and pauldron. can anyone help?

Awesome thanks Chris! Your strap and neck lines look better than this one. What does yours run for?

I bought mine off of this guy on eBay. He has a couple auctions that show four different colored pauldrons, but you get to choose which one of the four you want from him. You should ask him if he's willing to sell all four at once, because you might get a better deal that way (only if you want all four, of course). For the four of them I think I spent about $90. They've been perfect and have worked very well for me.

I don't think I'm spilling anything by saying that the two big Ebay sellers are Got*Armor ($35 each) and TK510 ($28 each).

Anyone have both that can let us know if there are really any significant diffs between the two? Else they seem pretty comparable...

You are correct, sir! However for non-canon events or even a fan film (think Troops) they'd be totally wicked and I'm definately planning on getting on myself. Add an embossed holster...c'mon - you know it be totally fun for non-canon appearances.

yep, I may check into em for the non events so thanks for the website. Just wanted to mention that fact(they are non-canon) in case someone dumped a wad of dough and couldn't troop at an event . It would definately be groovy to have though.

• 2 weeks later...

TK4510's tutorial is outstanding but I have to respectfully disagree with his assessment that the pauldrons seen on screen were Torsten Hallman GP chest protectors. I don't deny they are chest protectors and I don't deny the TH GP is close, but I do not think that is the actual model used. I have owned a couple of the original Hallman protectors and from what I have seen, they are very thin (not really much protection in my opinion). See the pic below of an original Hallman to see what I mean.

Posted Image

The chest protectors seen on screen are exceedingly thick and well padded. Additionally, the way in which the leather parts which go around the neck are attached to the main body of the protector is very different on the screeen used protectors compared to the Hallman protector. Granted, this is something the prop makers may have done to make the chest protectors fit better as pauldrons.

Posted Image

I also think the curvature of the black section near a troopers left shoulder is incorrect on the Hallman protector. It is too pointed. Finally, the stitching in the black area does not match that of a Hallman protector as they leave a wide area for the "GP."

I have found another protector (has "Suzuki" on it although I doubt it was made by Suzuki) that seems to be MUCH closer in resemblance to the protectors seen on screen although it too is not exact. It is very heavily padded and the vinyl seems to be softer and wrinkles a little like the pauldrons seen on screen. I am currently looking into the feasibility of having these professionally made. We will see.

I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has researched this.

I don't know that I'd call it research, but I looked around for old chest protectors quite a bit, and agree that the TH is the wrong shape. My personal thoughts on the closure is that it may have been "taken in" to fit tighter around the wearers' neck. I'd be interested in seeing the "suzuki" as I have not seen that one before. I'd love to see someone make them the correct thickness though. I have a black GF and an orange & a white from Gotarmor. The GF is thicker than either of the GA's, but still doesn't seem "puffy" enough.

I lent the Suzuki pauldron to a friend but should have it back by the end of the week. The interesting thing about it is that the black vinyl on it is perforated adn does not haev the multiple seams. However, the padding and material seem to be a closer match to what is seen on screen than the Hallman. When I get the protector back I will take pics and post them.

I'll admit up front that I could be wrong, but the indentation seems U-shaped, and awfully wide. The stitch lines are more V-shaped, like around the collar. From what I see, the lines on the main body of the pauldron look embossed, and there is a perimeter line that looks like either a more skinny embossing line, or a stitch. Logic would tell me it's a stitch, but I can't tell.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, as far as why the white one has it and the others don't, I'm lost. Also, on a side note; while I almost always will side with a found item being used as opposed to something being fabricated that looks a lot like a found item, I wonder if maybe the pauldrons used were actually made for the movie. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, except that the real ones usually have a logo on them. It seems like a long shot, and out of step with most of the ANH props, but maybe the pauldrons were custom made and were based on the real chest protectors.