MG-42 - used in ANH or a myth???

I've read in several places around the web about MG-42's being used by sandtroopers, but I have never seen one in a picture.

Does anyone have actual visable proof that they were used on-screen??

well when I get home I´ll try to get you some movie stills, but you can see this article form star wars site who said:

There are three main kinds of Imperial blasters seen in Star Wars. One is a variation on a German MG-34 machine gun from the 1930s, with the shoulder stock removed at one end and the barrel shortened at the other. Another is the MG-42, which was mass-produced during World War II. The third is the British Sterling Mk 4 used in the 1950s, a submachine gun with an air-cooled barrel; vents, sights, and scopes were added. The Sterling became the standard Imperial sidearm for the Stormtroopers. Modified further, it also served the Rebel fighters on board Princess Leia's Blockade Runner.

you can see the article Star Wars: The Magic of Myth at the Smithsonian

hope this helps

I thought the TDs BFGs were the Lewis, MG-15 & MG-34. If I remember right, the MG-42 was a heavy machine gun from WW2. Looked like a bulked up version of the MG-34 but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I found some links to compare the 2 guns:

MG-34- http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg32-e.htm

MG-42- http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg33-e.htm

They're pretty similar, but I don't recall ever seeing the MG-42. I may have missed it though.

Yes, Sandtroopers use MG-15, MG-34 and the Lewis Machinegun model 1917 caliber.30

The only character I rember, who uses MG-42 is Dengar, al told us by SgtNimrod.

There is a still I have seen of the speeder scene where if you look closely you see the barrel of one the blasters. It has the rectangular vents(and if I remember no inner barrel). The 34 had round holes similiar to the sterling. the only firearm I have seen with the rectangular vents was the 42. I will dig around for it and post it if I find it.

CJ

There is a still I have seen of the speeder scene where if you look closely you see the barrel of one the blasters. It has the rectangular vents(and if I remember no inner barrel). The 34 had round holes similiar to the sterling. the only firearm I have seen with the rectangular vents was the 42. I will dig around for it and post it if I find it.

CJ

That is the MG-15 barrel shroud you are seeing. The barrels were not used as the entire receiver of the MG-15 was a resin casting with only the front half being metal, much like one of the MG-34s and even the E-11s. This was because of the gun restriction laws in Tunisia. How they got the Lewis in there is a mystery to me as it appears to be authentic and complete.

In regard to the MG-42, from what I have seen, there is not even the slightest indication of one being seen. I don't know where sci-fire got their info on this, but from what I have seen, they are incorrect.

On a somewhat related subject, what about authenticating the barrel fins on the MG-34, like the ones on the E-11? The only reproduction I've seen like this is the small Stormtrooper Bust-Up. I also seem to recall a brief glance at a MG-34 in the 'Move Along' scene where these fins can be seen.

The fins are definitely there although poorly spaced and spaced differently on the front half than on the back half. I can perhaps make a rough sketch for the placement based off my research of some archive pics as well as the pics found in Chronicles.

Here is a picture of my MG-34 with the fins in the correct placement based on my research. As you can see... the placement is very shabby. Also, for anyone who didn't know. The fins were attached with wire as can be seen on mine.

Posted Image

Here is a rough fin alignment guide based on my research. Please note that the real fins were attached in a very sloppy and inprecise manner. The alignment below is only intended as a guide. I highly recommend you take a look for yourself to get more exact placement but this should get you started as the images can be very confusing.

Posted Image

Interesting!

Thanks for sharing. One of the guys in the OLG has a deactivated MG-34, I thought it waaayyy to heavy to troop with. My hyper firm one has served me well. I may just go ahead and pick up some T track and attach them in similar fashion.

Honestly, I don't know where my T track came from... I got it from a friend who said it was offered several years ago as a special run. I only got enough to finish out the E-11 and MG-34. :( I can take a good closeup of the end if you would like to get a better view of it.

Honestly, I don't know where my T track came from... I got it from a friend who said it was offered several years ago as a special run. I only got enough to finish out the E-11 and MG-34. :( I can take a good closeup of the end if you would like to get a better view of it.

I think the T track from Blast-tech should work just fine. Practically the same stuff.