Ummmm... so my left arm went numb...

PNerves

Is that normal? Heh... I wore my pack for my first troop on Saturday and I was in it for over 5 hours. I think that my straps may be too thin- I'm using 1 inch webbing. Has anyone found that they have less issues with thicker straps? I have some 2 inch webbing sitting around- was just too pressed to swap it out.

yeah, the one inch webbing always killed me after a few hours. On my newest pack, I use a heavy duty, 2in. wide elastic material to distribute the weight a little better. It still hurts after a while (because I'm skinny), but it's better than the 1in. stuff.

Try being 225lbs, and have a 49" chest... talk about straps pulling

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I have a chest strap that holds the shoulder straps together, but I didn't attach it because I was having bucket issues- it pulls the pack further up my back- I finally did get it connected and that helped, but it was still a nightmare.

• 4 weeks later...

I currently use 1" web-strap and I've worn it for 5+ hours straight, I can't say I've had my arm(s) fall asleep, but I have gotten a few friction burns along the outer edge of my pectoral muscles taking the damned thing off!

Last week I replaced the tops of my straps from 1" to 2" and trooped for four hours. While my shoulder was still a little sore when done, it was nowhere near as bad as what it would have been with the 1".

For me it was an easy change and I can't believe I didn't try it sooner. Definately worth the $1.50 in material. For the quick disconnects, I kept the 1" wide onces and just folded the material through. Also, I left the bottom parts 1".

Thanks to folks who posted pix of 2" straps - if I hadn't seen that it looked just fine I probably wouldn't have tried it. Yet another case where posting pix is worth 1000 words.