Icomm locartion in armour

So i have my Icomm unit and mic ready to pop into the armour but I was wondering where people have them ? I guess having the speaker round the neck is easiest but what about the rest. I can think of two possible locations but was wondering if anyone had any advice ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just wish a thinner setup for the speaker amplifier. Like an LED TV wider but thinner.

The reason I say, is because the last one I helped with, the chest plate pushed out to much from the aker underneath. The amp speaker could be 6" square if it was only 1/2" thick. Just an idea. Then it would be easy to mount in the suit

As time goes on my aker speaker slides lower and lower toward my crotch plate. I keep it around my neck on the annoying strap it comes with. To keep it away from the mic to reduce feedback it basically sits behind my ab plate. Not so comfortable but I enjoy harassing people. I choose to be understood over comfort.

I have Velcro stuck to the entire back my icomm and it sits in my back plate. I have a fair amount of Velcro lining my back plate to be able to easily place it without much thought. I found all the wires and stuff to be too annoying to put much in my chest even all bundled nicely with zip ties. Putting it all in the back plate allows for only one wire to go to the amp in front if I'm not using an mp3 player for chatter.

Aloha,

-Eric

• 4 months later...

I have had nothing but problems with my Aker/Icomm setup since day 1 of trooping. I started with it mounted behind the chest with the Icomm near it, and a wired mic into a headset under a balaclava. I got terrible feedback if I tilted my head down, and during trooping it would cut out and start transmitting random static bursts even when I wasnt talking. Now is this the Aker or the Icomm, I guess it must be the Icomm as it tells the aker when to transmit doesn't it and puts the static burst through it?

I then tried to put the Aker on my belt and this was better but then I was getting tremendous ambient noise problems from the mic with the static burst sounding all the time, especially with background noise at events.

My only solution was to go to a PTT running to my finger, and this was a pretty good result but I dont like having to push the button to talk all the time ( i get a sore finger).

So how can I set it up best to avoid these issues. Is the Icomm prone to getting moist and is that what was causing the problems, or is it the aker or mic, and what is the best Mic setup to get to avoid these problems?

Thanks for the help.

Nick

In my experience the Icomm has problems when it come to moisture/sweat. I had a cheapo transmitter inside my old helmet along with the icomm and mic. I then had the wireless receiver and speaker behind my chest armour.

This worked well if I was outside, but once inside and the moisture started to build it would constantly let off bursts. Sometimes even the mics would pack up altogether.

I have now gone back to the Rom/fx which is placed in my shoulder pouch. I think I'll still go back to the cheap wireless kit though as they worked well.

I Set mine up with the aker speaker in the center of the chest with the reciever and icomm on the back in the box secured down with velcro. i run the wire under the shoulder trap so you cant see it. the tansmitter and mic in my helmet, i use vox tho only draw back is sometimes when im breathing to hard it sets off the mic. lol

the aker speaker is positioned so the volume control is facing outwards so if need be i can slip my hand under the chest plate to adjust the volume.

hope this helps :)

This is my setup. Simple but effective. :thumbsup:

I use a headset, mount the IComm on the inside of the Back Plate, run the PTT along my left arm to my fingertips and keep the Aker amp inside my non-canon belt worn French Ammo Pouch (Small holes drilled into a circular pattern on front so the amp can project a bit more clearly) for most troops. (All wires neatly strapped and tucked out of the way. The wireless system is a bit of a hassle for me, believe it or not. lol)

If it's an LFL event, I go silent and just use my leather MP-40 Pouches. :td::yes:

Posted Image

I have also have nothing but problems with the icomm. No matter what I do it gives random static bursts. Its also supposed to save your choice of static burst and every time I set the burst I want it goes back to the default after a few minutes. I use a wireless mic and It works great. I just need a better spot for the speaker. I tried the speaker in the armor and its just to muffled. Just wish there was a better static burst around. The romfx is hard to come by. Anyone know where to look for one of these?

I have also have nothing but problems with the icomm. No matter what I do it gives random static bursts. Its also supposed to save your choice of static burst and every time I set the burst I want it goes back to the default after a few minutes. I use a wireless mic and It works great. I just need a better spot for the speaker. I tried the speaker in the armor and its just to muffled. Just wish there was a better static burst around. The romfx is hard to come by. Anyone know where to look for one of these?

http://www.romfx.com/

John May is the designer and maker of the Rom. He's a UKG member and a great guy. Drop him an email for prices etc. ;)

Ive already posted about this on the UKG forum but in short have the same issue, over sensetivity with the mic. Theres a few of us in the UK having the

same issue.

My set up is - the headset supplied, leading down to the Aker and Icomm in the chest piece (all hard wired). I dont get any feedback but just the static

burst going of when I breath or from an outside lid noise. Ive just switched to a pretty cheap and crappy mic with a lot of foam and it seems a bit

better but need to try on a troop really.

Ive no doubt the guy supplying them is a 100% stand-up top guy though and replied to my email within a few hours but could only suggest its a mic issue. Ive been on

the RomFX waiting list for 6ish months.

Ive had a bit more luck using this cheap mic from Amazon, I saw it had a larger foam piece which I though might help to stop it

going of all the time and it seems to work better with my set up. For £4 its worth a shot, it even has an on/off switch on the side

which will be hand for a lids off break.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamic-Headset-Microphone-Elastic-Headband/dp/B000KHDZ64/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img

• 5 months later...
So, I was just curious, and this may be born out of ignorance (as my pouches, and sound system aren't here yet). Couldn't one place the Icomm unit in your tool pouch (punch a hole through the back of the pouch) run any wiring to the mic in the helmet, and the aker in the chest. It would keep the Icomm unit away from any body generated humidity.