We are moving to a VPS

Daetrin

Despite all our efforts, we've been unable to address the CPU usage that started two months ago and set off the firestorm with our hosting provider, Site5.

Lucas, Brent, Eric, Matthias all have put in countless hours analyzing the site usage, tweaking settings, pouring over logs and forums to see what could have accounted for this change.

In the end Site5 has run out of patience and we were given the choice of being shut down or moving to a VPS (virtual private server).

The only downside to the VPS is that it costs more - a lot more - to host. However given that this host will contain FISD, MEPD, SLD, IOC, and the PacOutpost, between the lot that's a lot of members and if we judiciously and fairly pass the hat we should be able to cover the expenses.

What does this mean for you?

1. There will be some downtime as we move off of a shared host to a dedicated host. Site5 will perform this work and it should be minimal.

2. We will return to the days of asking for support from our membership each year, just like the Legion forums do. Back in the early days (2006) this was not uncommon really and CTN, FISD, and MEPD used to do this (that I was directly involved in). Then we hosted with V'Pier and our costs plummeted, removing the need. However we've grown quite a bit since then and have outgrown V'Piers server, and now have outgrown a shared server. So, think of it as going back to our roots. :)

Matthias & Eric can provide the gory details on traffic usage and actions taken, and perhaps there may be enough bright linux administrator folks out there who can figure out how to do what we did better and bring CPU usage back down, however as of today we are out of time and have to move.

If there are any questions regarding this, please chime away.

With unquestioned loyalty,

Daetin TK-8020

You folks can stay on the web server provided you do something about all that dirt and crud all over your armor. Make with the hose and a scrub brush and Paul won't disable your hosting account.

:trooper: = :D

I am uncharacteristically optimistic this move will have minimal impact on all the sites that host here. My liver may not survive, but the forums will carry on.

Please let us know if you have any questions at all.

Aloha and thanks for your patience,

-Eric

We would have to pay to be on the message boards? and if so what is the cost?

Nope. The boards will remain free... but if you are so compelled when the time comes... a donation of any size to keep the site running would do your karma some good.

Aloha,

-Eric

when will this change take place? does this mean a shut down period of no contact? will you post a paypal account to donate? and will it be an annual donation or monthly? I am new but want this to keep going so I can do an annual donation if it helps. I been waiting 12 years to join something like this so i don't want it to disappear.

when will this change take place?

We haven't worked it out with the hosting company. My guess is within the week or so?

does this mean a shut down period of no contact?

If all goes well it will be brief. Less than 12 hours at the most.

will you post a paypal account to donate?

Si! (I assume)

and will it be an annual donation or monthly?

That's up to the staff of MEPD but it may be a while until we figure out who owes what. I would suggest a yearly pledge drive a la PBS.....MEPD tote bags and all.

I am new but want this to keep going so I can do an annual donation if it helps. I been waiting 12 years to join something like this so i don't want it to disappear.

Do not fret. The account will be paid for even if MEPD as a whole can't/won't/doesn't pony up... there's no way any of the sites we host would disappear because they didn't pay.

Although.... I did threaten LDR the XO of the Sith Lords that there was a chance that a few boys clad in shiny white tupperware might appear at his doorstep aiming their E-11's at his kneecaps. Hopefully he won't have his Vader shins on when they start swinging.

Aloha,

-Eric

Count me in for the donation.

Maybe we can also have a "Forum Supporter" badge/icon/tab under our forum avatar for those who donated, like what the FISD and Legion Forum have. As a form of appreciation and hopefully, get more people to help out.

I love that idea!!!! In the past we've never taken donations, the CS always just took care of it....I'd like to see the whole squad become more vested. :)

I thought SethB set up a supporter flag way back when for one time, but I could be wrong. CTN certainly had one as did FISD. When the time comes we'll post in the announcements again. Also, we'll try to make a target for each detachment, e.g. say if the total cost was $100 and MEPD used 30% of the bandwidth, our goal would be $30.

I thought SethB set up a supporter flag way back when for one time, but I could be wrong. CTN certainly had one as did FISD. When the time comes we'll post in the announcements again. Also, we'll try to make a target for each detachment, e.g. say if the total cost was $100 and MEPD used 30% of the bandwidth, our goal would be $30.

That would work :)