Approvable and non-approvable TD armor... bring ideas to the table

iconoclasta_88

So, after a small discussion over other thread, we decided to have the chat moved to a new thread... the topic: 501st approvable TD costumes vs non-approvable ones.

The idea comes from Rio aka TheEvilJawa...

...Oh and I would like to have a new thread open up about this type of stuff. Like maybe a discussion thread about approvable and non-approvable things where we can share ideas, pictures etc. I think that would be nice. It would help starting out guys know that they can still have fun with some minor modifications here and there.

And I think it will make a great and fun topic to bring some ideas to the table about what would you like to add to your costume even if outside the 501st Legion standards and rules... also, why do you love your accurate '76 all the way Sandtrooper... or just come on, jump in and post some cool pictures of sandtroopers shooting rebels!

So, Rio, first word is yours!

Saludos.

Sorry Damian, you are breaking one of the Forum rules by posting this, so your thread was removed. As read on the For Sale FOrum: 2 » "No ongoing runs of armor/helmets are allowed in The Supply Depot or anywhere else on the MEPD." Please don´t do this again. If you have any question please refer to the CO, XO or Staff via PM. Keep enjoying the MEPD :)

I think custom suits are cool, though like the fact that canon costumes are approved only. For offical events I feel it seperates us from the average fan that shows up at a star wars event and adds more of an authentic feel. I would like to do a custom suit down the road but I have too many screen troopers I want to make first :D.

In my garrison we have a clone shock trooper that made a kama and pauldron so he can be a commander. Then at a canon event he can change back. I know our garrison invites our rebel legion and fan force group to non-official troops, and we usually get most recognition because people know us more then a generic jedi or pilot for example. You see pauldrons on clean troopers a lot and if that person likes it then its good they are having fun, for those that like to look like they came off the screen, its the same thing.

I wont wear a pauldron on my scout but I wont nay say a fellow member who wears one with our patch to represent our garrison, but it depends on your fellow troopers. I would like to say everyone is accepting in the legion but alas it is not true for everyone. As sandtroopers we are lucky that there are very few tense arguments and they get put out fast if there is one.

interpretations are cool....i just think that if your going to put all that hard work into a RC you should just go with screen accuracy....its a shame to waste such a great build and not be able to wear it.

my 2 pence!

for any specific character that was seen on screen i believe they should be as accurate as possibly can be!!

but i do love to go all out and try and get my imagination flowing wherever possible!

so for that i have been doing a side project of mandalorian armour,i can do anything i want as there is no crl for these,i encourage anyone wanting to do this to try out a mando,great fun!(but would never,never ever come close to how much i love building a dirty trooper) :thumbsup:

One thing I see is that over here, at the MEPD, is that we are a bunch of accuracy freaks. You don't see much custom tds out there.

That might be mainly cause there is something called a Heavy Weapon Teooper. A designation made for all this dirty or shiny tks that love BFG but not necessarily the True Sandtrooper style.

Also, the MEPD is a very small nitch oriented community. So, if you come here and end up being an active member, chances are you are all into accuracy. If you like other kind of costums and customization, you are and will always be welcome. But most members end up loving accuracy just cause, well, I guess the passion is contagious. ;)

I love seeing pictures of custom troopers. But for me, when I go on a troop to claim control over a con or troop in the name of the Emperor, I like to be in full accurate gala!!!!

That's me.

And I respect everyone doing it any other way too.

The MEPD was all about accuracy since day one. Every day, of each passing year we go further, but even from the beginning this started just to place us apart from average legion HWT. To make sandtroopers look and feel like ANH sandtroopers.

I love this forum and Sandtroopers. And love that we still have a special place and welcome wveryone else. Hopefully, we will see everyone here become a TD.

And then, we will dominate the universe!!!!!!

;)

Saludos.

Juan

I really want to ask a question about the belts. I know for MEPD Police Officer status the belt needs to be white canvas, but I've been stuck with plastic for a belt. It works yeah, but I want to swtich. Where would I find good low priced canvas belts. Preferably ones pre-made so I don't have to hire somebofy to sew me one if I were to buy the materals from Joann's fabrics or something. I know Trooperbay, you got one, but It's too pricy for me. For just a belt I mean.

Im knew here and mainly building for fun as i am a little heavy set at the moment to wear the costume im building. But anyway im in the process of doing a canvas belt and have bought the materials since my wife manages a joanns here in los angeles i get a good discount on materials. We should be making a belt and if its easy for her to make an extra one i can send you it for just the cost of the canvas and velcro.

Im knew here and mainly building for fun as i am a little heavy set at the moment to wear the costume im building. But anyway im in the process of doing a canvas belt and have bought the materials since my wife manages a joanns here in los angeles i get a good discount on materials. We should be making a belt and if its easy for her to make an extra one i can send you it for just the cost of the canvas and velcro.

That'd be really cool man. I got a lady by the name Janey. Her mother worked in the Theatre industry, putting on plays, opera's etc. her mother taught her how to sew knit etc.*She is actually kind of famous.* She is the one who sewed my jawa, the only thing is....she is a busy lady. So whatever help I can get is cool man. I'll be here on the forums if anything happens.

Just spoke with my wife and we got such a good deal on the materials that she wouldnt mind just helping you out, so ill send you a message this coming fri or just send me a message telling me what length you need it to be taking account for the overlap.

hey bro if you interested in opening up shop I will take a few off your hands in the future :) just pm a price list and what not

• 2 months later...

firstly....... no dis-respect intended to any one here

but ,to me guys,, joining MEPD ( or any other detatchment come to think of it ) is all about " upping the accuracy level " over an approved, 501st costume ,meeting the 501st's BASIC requirements -if you choose to ,that is ! (hence why BASIC 501st approval accepts 4 ab buttons ,black lenses,plastic waist belt,flat,non-puffed up pauldrons,less accurate field packs etc ; ) i know of a lot of guys who are happy to just gain the BASIC 501st approval ,while there are others who want to aim for the higher levels of screen accuracy that joining a Detatchment offers . to me , this Detatchment is about "upping the game" on re-creating the iconic 76' trooper seen on screen as best as we possibly can ,and ,although we all may look the same to some people, trust me.every single one of us puts their own unique charachter,and,also,their own unique touches into their individual builds and weathering ,(basically to how they personally percieve the charachter looked on screen/set ) .... ie;- some guys preffer to replicate the single pigment weathering "lighter" -as seen on the screen,taking into account the natural and camera lighting and filters ,whilst others(like myself) go for the heavy,darker , but,also textured single pigment "brown" weathering seen in the still photos from the set in 76' (without filters,camera lighting applied)

a lot of us guys just started here on MEPD wishing/wanting to learn more about how the 76' sandies were originally created and how the 76' props guys made that happen ,and also most of us have the passion for the original 76' charachter -which took us to a greater height of determination to achieve to replicate just that ! .

my other costume (biker scout ) is not shiny white like most ive seen ,but i weathered the original "on-set way" as near as i can (black spray painted ,and varied textured patches on the armour and very grubby cummerbund) that is my own personal choice guys as thats how it was done originally ..... original look and method is my passion guys ....each to their own though i suppose.

but ,believe me , every one who builds and weathers their individual kit has their own charachter on it ! just look in the deployed police officers gallery and the SWAT gallery too! -no 2 of us are the same bud !

respect duders

76' ALL THE WAY ! :salute::peace:

• 3 weeks later...

I've got so much work ahead I'm one of those silly ppl who bought a rubies before I new these forums existed but I love a challenge I WILL turn it into screen accurate sandy

I'm with ya bro 76ers

...... But maybe some help and advise other than sell it and start again:)