That's the worst flippin' job I have EVER seen.... you should send it to me!

Honestly Mel, That is just about as good as it can get short of a hyper-firm, de-miled, or vac-formed version! Verrrry niiiiice, now you have me insprired!

I beleive the term "Hyper-Firm" is already owned by a reputable dealer, and I would never consider co-opting their terms or market share... on the other hand... I figure about 2 gallons of RTV Silicone and some ingenuity... I could make myself a nice light reproduction for serious trooping..

I beleive the term "Hyper-Firm" is already owned by a reputable dealer,

Oh, Ok then.

my bad.

........BUT If the gentlemen making Hyperfirm weapons want to mold mine - I would be more than happy to work out something

Mel!

WoW! Nice Mg34 you have there! I really need to get off my butt and start working on one.

Here is a sneak peek at a project I'm are working on:

Posted Image

A special thanks to Tony for his help on this!

...Whoah - Jim!!!! Excellent!

HOLY RUSTED METAL BATMAN! That is one fine Lewis! I can't wait to see that baby when it's done. I think that I would be scared to troop with that one...

Thanks for the kind words. It's still early in the construction. The wooden version is a mock-up that I will use as a mold master. The plan is to make some durable resin casts of the parts. The ultimate goal is to have a few made for the fan film I'm working on.

Resin? Have you looked at Flex-IT foam 5?

Flex-IT foam 5? No. Tell me more?

I'm looking at a resin cast material that Smooth-on sells to make training guns for the FBI. Not hyperfirm as far as I know as that is as much a process as a product.

The goal is to make a few for the film, and friends using these parts cast in this material, and then bolted and glued together with off-the-shelf drain pipe. The taper at the barrel end will also be a custom cast item. The stock will also be cast. The idea came from Tony and his LG that could be broken down for transport, so I'm working on this as a packable option.

I'm not going after a market to sell these, just the ability to make a few for the film project, and the like.

• 3 weeks later...

That is looking FANTASTIC... you've been busy since you sent me the last update pictures!! That's more or less how I'm going to re-do my barrel too! I assume thats bondo to make the taper?

That is looking FANTASTIC... you've been busy since you sent me the last update pictures!! That's more or less how I'm going to re-do my barrel too! I assume thats bondo to make the taper?

Thanks for the kind words. I still have some bondo work to do on the receiver, and to make the ejection port and charging handle. Also, some minor stock work needs to be done.

Tony, the barrel taper is indeed made from bondo. But, heres How I did it. I wanted to be able to cast this as a resin part, so I wrapped the smaller pipe with a sheet of printer paper. So that it can slide on the barrel. Then I fitted the larger pipe with an extension coupling the smaller pipe could fit in. Then I mixed up a couple of batches of bondo, and sanded. Once I had the shape I wanted, I cut the bondo loose from the larger pipe, and it slipped off the smaller one. Now I have this donut barrel taper as a separate part.