Rainy?

MatchStick

Hey again everyone, I've had a question in my head and been looking around but can't find an answer. For weathering, I wanted to go the fuller's earth route, using hair spray and sandpaper. Since I live in Hawaii and it drizzles/rains from time to time would this ruin the weathering? If so, what alternative route should I take? Thanks everyone!

I use the sand/hairspray weathering method, and was rained on recently while trooping. I don't believe anything washed off that I can tell. Of course I used a lot of hair spray, & a clear coat on top of that, to keep it solid.

I know some local TDs did just that; first hairspray, dry pigments and Fuller's earth, then clear coat. I haven't seen the result myself yet, but according to them, their suits ended up being somewhat shiny afterwards. But I guess you could work it over with some really, really fine grit sandpaper (like P1200-1500), to dull it down?

I've been using only hairspray and pigments for the last three-four years, and on both my TD and TS costume. The weathering has held up well so far, but I don't think I've ever trooped in anything heavier than a light drizzle.

ive used fullers earth weathering method with loooaaads of hairsray,always wanted to spray on a matt coat but was worried it might change the look,bj did you have any probs with the look afterwards? :thumbsup:

I wouldn't say it was shiny, but I am yet to stand next to another TD to compare. Just definitely don't use a gloss finish paint for sure. :)

No there's multiple colors with a sand based texture. The brand I personally like it latticrete...sold at lowes. You can mix in the multiple colors you like but they have a great selection of natural colors

• 1 month later...

I did the Fuller's Earth & hairspray method with a matte clear coat over it. I wouldn't say it's shiney, but does have kind of satin look to it when in direct sun llight. One caution; I wish I would have used a lighter color because the clear coat darkens it quite a bit. I still like the look a lot better than paint though.

I should have photos up soon when I apply for deployment ;)