A few of you might have browsed through my PO Deployment Request, and many of you may very well have used this exact technique before, but this was first time I had ever tried using the ‘homemade ABS glue/paste trick’ to add plastic where it wasn’t before, so I figured I’d add it to my WIP.
In the first review of my Request, I was made aware that the shape of the knee ammo belt on the right thigh piece was inaccurate - it needed a more rounded off edge than the slightly rounded 45° angle I had originally cut.
My first attempt to remedy the situation proved inaccurate as well as it caused too much of a swooping curve back toward the fastening rivet than the correct shape.
At this point I saw two options; one, I could order a whole new ammo belt, wait a week, or two, or three to receive it, only to have to cut it, shape it, drill out the old rivets, etc., or two, I could try my hand at attaching the necessary amount of ABS using leftover scraps to recreate the original squared-off edge which I could then shape to the correct curve. I went with the latter and opted for the more time-efficient solution; after all, I was in the middle of a Deployment Review!!
Using scrap ABS, I fashioned triangular-shaped pieces that would complete the original squared off edge and held them in place with tape, securing the tips of the triangle pieces to the existing curve with a little bit of superglue.
I then mixed up a little jar of ABS slurry from scraps of ABS and acetone and let it breakdown. When ready, I applied the glue to both sides (front and back) of the two ends of the ammo belt, knowing whatever excess would have to later be sanded.
Letting that harden to the point I could no longer scratch a dent into the dried glue, I cut the new curve and began sanding down the excess.
All that was left to do now was weather the new pieces, and this is what I ended up with:
Here’s hoping I got it right this time , but even if it needs more work, I feel pretty darn accomplished with my first go ‘round with ABS paste..!